Wakesurf board - Hyperlite Broadcast or Shim

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wakesurf board - Hyperlite Broadcast or Shim

Looking to start wakesurfing and don't have the best boat setup in the world so don't want to invest a ton into it. Looking for a used beginner type of board that is surf oriented or hybrid, not skim. I like those Hyperlite Broadcast and Shim boards. Need at least a 4'-8" board I think. Let me know if you have anything. Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using PLT Nautique

My first board was the broadcast, and I found it a super easy board to get up on, and a very stable board. I have used the shim as well, but I did not think it was quite as easy to ride for a beginner as the broadcast.

Comment

The Shim is my favorite board in the Hyperlite line. It's super fast agile and fun.

With th that said just getting into the sport , not having a boat slammed to the gills I would buy a broadcast for sure in this situation. You'll most likely upgrade at some point , but it will be so much easier to learn and progress on that down the road.

Whats youre height and weight? Don't be afraid to go bigger rather then shorter .

Comment

Thanks for the input fellas! I found a used Shim on CL, but maybe glad I didn't end up with it now. I'm definitely going to try and find a Broadcast because of all the good review and your input now. I'm 5'10" 175#. I have a brother that will ride this board too and he's about 6'1" and close to 200#. Would you say the 5'-4" board is appropriate?

Comment

I am 6ft 180. 5"6 for sure in my opionin.

Comment

I'm 175 5'11. I ride the Shim 5'4". I wish I went smaller. The board rides great, but not as fast at cutting as I would like.

Comment

Originally posted by swatguy View Post
              I am 6ft 180. 5"6 for sure in my opionin.
              So Swat, do you ride the 5'6"? The reason I ask is I'm about the same size as you and will be buying a Shim this spring.
              2007 Malibu Wakesetter 23 LSV, 1995 Cobalt 200

Comment

You're on the border of small vs big much like myself. It was a tough call for me on whether to go bigger or smaller I demoed both.

I see it like this. If you're more of a skim style rider and like doing board tricks the smaller board is a bit more nimble and obviously easy to get to react for flip tricks . Keep in mind most skim riders like a wake that's little more mellow as well. Myself. I like surf style riding, I like going faster, cutting into the wake , getting small airs (can't get big ones yet) , and doing few 360's here and there. I spend maybe 25% of my water time surfing. This past season was an exception. I had my ACL done in Feb so it was slow rolling into the season. Figures let's go all in on the surf side and take on a new challenge. So I demoed probably 15ish surfboards this year and tried to take notes. I found the smaller board on my bigger steeper wake (which is a wake style I like for speed ) wanted to pearl on me just a bit and require a little more work to get down the line. For me surfing is more of my go to when the water is crap or my legs are toast from boarding , so I don't want to have to work a board to death. I also found the bigger board was bit faster for me . All things I preferred. That's why the bigger size was a home run for me. I demoed the smaller one for a weekend and the larger for a weekend. Unlike wakeboards where size plays more of a "constant" factor , surf boards are way more subjective and cover much bigger span.
                Last edited by swatguy; 02-04-2017, 01:39 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by swatguy View Post
                  You're on the border of small vs big much like myself. It was a tough call for me on whether to go bigger or smaller I demoed both.

I see it like this. If you're more of a skim style rider and like doing board tricks the smaller board is a bit more nimble and obviously easy to get to react for flip tricks . Keep in mind most skim riders like a wake that's little more mellow as well. Myself. I like surf style riding, I like going faster, cutting into the wake , getting small airs (can't get big ones yet) , and doing few 360's here and there. I spend maybe 25% of my water time surfing. This past season was an exception. I had my ACL done in Feb so it was slow rolling into the season. Figures let's go all in on the surf side and take on a new challenge. So I demoed probably 15ish surfboards this year and tried to take notes. I found the smaller board on my bigger steeper wake (which is a wake style I like for speed ) wanted to pearl on me just a bit and require a little more work to get down the line. For me surfing is more of my go to when the water is crap or my legs are toast from boarding , so I don't want to have to work a board to death. I also found the bigger board was bit faster for me . All things I preferred. That's why the bigger size was a home run for me. I demoed the smaller one for a weekend and the larger for a weekend. Unlike wakeboards where size plays more of a "constant" factor , surf boards are way more subjective and cover much bigger span.
                  Thanks again for the input. I actually weigh a little less than you 170-175 so we are real close in size. I will b surfing behind a brand new GS20 so not sure what the wave will be like, but I'm told it will have way more push than my current 210.
                  2007 Malibu Wakesetter 23 LSV, 1995 Cobalt 200

Comment

While our 210 was decent. It definitely lacks the push of the higher end wakesurf wakes

Comment

Working...
                    X