No announcement yet.

Buying a New Boat - Help !

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

SGY, Embarras is up in the middle of the cold shot. North minn iron range. I would kill for 70f right now.
    The LXI also needs to burn 91-92 octane. Which is a big factor to consider. I wish I could post photos of a 2002 LXI thats our club boat. The interior and gelcoat is not holding up very well. It will need replace soon, as to my standards.
    Life long Nautique guy
    Will ski anytime.
    \"SON WATERSPORTS ROCKS\"

Comment

Very interesting additional comments. Thank you again.

After additional research on the 3 big brands in Canada (CC,MB and MC), it is a dead even match on pricing for identically equipped boats.

The A206, the X7 and the Response LXi are all at exactly $ 65 000 Can (including trailer) compared to $ 45 000 for the Moomba Outback.

I am still digging hard and I praying that one of those boats will outshine all others in the showroom such that my decision will be very clear..I am kidding myself ..

I am taking this all in, keep your comments flowing.

Cheers

JF

Comment

I have to agree with Deuce that this post has some of best information I have ever read on any web forum. That being said, I would like to offer my .02.

A friend at our lake purchased a 2004 Moomba Mobius. The engine and tranny are smooth and solid but every bump on the lake rattles your teeth and the windshield etc. It's very easy to see where Skiers Choice made up the difference in cost. The fit and finish is just not in the same league as the others.

My best friend at the lake purchased a 2003 Response LXI. This summer he put about 175 hours on the boat and it is rock solid. There are alot of things he loves about the boat but a few things he is unhappy with. This guy is very anal and he has some concerns about the interior. The stitching on one of his cushions let loose. It was replaced under warranty but he's concerned its a sign of things to come. The WEDGE is another issue. It's annoying when switching from slalmon to wakeboarding because you have to step onto the swim platform, lower and lock the wedge, and then reverse the whole procedure to switch back. The top speed with the wedge down I believe is also 28mph so if you burn around the lake and forget to put the wedge up, you could have some problems. My buddy also is unhappy with the noise level inside the boat and is contemplating adding mufflers. I noticed when I ride in the boat that I can't sit comfortably in the observer seat without cracking my head on the windshield (I'm 6'2") The visibility for the drive is also impaired as mentioned above because of the seat /windshield tilt combination. Mark-S mentioned high octane gasoline but I know my friend runs 89 octane without problems (340 Monsoon). Overall the boat is well build but I mention the negatives above because I couldn't live with some of them.

My wife and I purchased a 2003 Ski 206 last year. Over the summer we put 130 hours on it without a single problem. The boat rides quiet and pulls strong and true. We looked at an identical AIR 206 but decided aganst it because the rear ballast tanks took up the entire trunk and we figured we could modify the wake ourselves more efficiently. The boat is great to ski behind although my friend with the response claims his is better (the argument will never end) and the wake for entry to mid-level wakeboarding is sufficent. As my kids progress I'm sure that want a little more wake.

What really sold us on CC was the fit and finish and the warranty. We were looking at I/O's from Searay and Chaparral years ago which are two of the best brands in the market but the quality and attention to detail in CC blow them away.

Good luck with your shopping and decision...
        2003 Ski Nautique 206 Limited, FCT, Excaliber 330, Midnight Blue - Silver Cloud

Comment

JFT, hang in there and enjoy the process. I love buying boats. Good thing my wife keeps a firm grip on me. One other thing that has not been mentioned is that both CC and PCM are the JD Powers' recepient for the highest customer satisfaction award. CC has received this award in 2003 and 2004. PCM received it in 2004. (For what its worth.)

The best advice I can give you is talk to as many skiers as possible. Promo representatives are good folks to talk to as well. These guys ski behind and drive lots of boats. Ask your Bu, MC and CC dealer for names of customers/skiers you can talk to. Like I said above, you'll reach that maximum saturation point and will be able to make a decision.

In the meantime before the boat show, I would nose around each dealership and see if you can get a feel for what kind of service you are going to get.

Comment

The comment about service brings my next question.

I live on the Atlantic Coast of Canada, more precisely in Halifax and the closest boat dealer for all 4 brands mentioned is in the Montreal area (1300 km, 800 miles away from home).

I spoke to Randy Eisner (the Perfect Pass creator and manufacturer) who lives in my area and he said that for servicing the engine and basics of what ever boat I decide to purchase, most boat dealers in my area (usually selling larger Ocean boats) will be able to help because of the fact that these boats are relatively easy to service.

Was Randy right ?

You may better understand my situation now. I have no dealership around, I cannot test drive these boats before my purchase and when I visit Montreal for the boat show in 2 weeks, I would like to make my purchase there. Needless to say that your input was and is still critical to help me in my decision.

Cheers

JF

Comment

I've owned one Malibu and three Nautiques. My current boat is an '04 SV-211 TE. While the Malibu was a good boat, it just didn't compare in design and build quality to the CC boats. Like the others have indicated, you get what you pay for.

My opinion of Moomba's was formed while at the Dallas boat show a few years back. While walking around one of the Moombas on the floor, I noticed a small gelcoat "flake" on the deck. I picked at the flake and produced a 1/4" hole completely through the gelcoat and fiberglass. Now all indications are the Moomba build quality has improved some from that date, but I'll never entertain the purchase of a Moomba.

Bu, MC and CC are all fine boats so you probably won't go wrong with any one of them from a performance perspective. The dealer and local support are crucial since you'll probably have some warranty work over the first five years. In addition to the wealth of knowledge on Planet Nautique, I've found CC dealers extremely easy to work with over distance and on the phone. The support network is second to none with pretty much any Nautique owner willing to lend a helping hand or insight when the need arises.

You might want to ask your dealer why a Nautique over a Moomba to hear their rationale. Selling those two lines must be a unique combination....

Keep us posted on your decision and good luck

Comment

Since you are so far away from any dealer, I would make sure CC, MC, or BU factory will allow warranty work locally there. Should not be a problem. CC doesn't have a dealer in Colorado but I have no problem getting the warranty work done. The same is true on the PCM side of things.

Comment

Not sure if this is an option for you but if it is, it will show that "the proof is in the pudding" so to speak. Find an early 90's or late 80's Nautique, MC, Moomba and Malibu and see how each of them has held up. I won't comment further. I am sure that most of you know where I am headed with this.

You will get great support from both CC and PCM on issues. They are great companies to deal with. If you are even the least bit mechanically inclined, I am sure you can talk the dealer into showing you how to change the oil, trans fluid, fuel filter and how to winterize.

As a side note to SGY - I beat you to it with the JD Powers awards (look at my previous posts in the thread). Just had to hassle you!!!!!

Comment

Just thought I would throw in this comment from Rutat the diehard Malibu guy at Malibuboatowners.com

CC's gauges actually work and the vinyl is so much better in terms of stain resistance and durability it is not even funny.

Comment

I knew I should have re-read your post SN. I was just too lazy.

Curious about the gas gauge on the CC. Are they accurate? I just put 10 gallons in every few outings and never worry about it. I do notice that you start getting the low fuel warning at around a quarter tank. Is this normal? The reason I ask is I know that Bu owners complain about their gas gauges.

Comment

The majority of them that I have seen are very accurate. Depending on how the boat is sitting (on the trailer, bouncing in waves) will have a lot to do with how they read and when the warning goes off. I trust them though.

Comment

Pricing

Hello Again

I am curious to see if there is a large fluctuation in pricing across the US boarder and even within Canada.

Can you post what the following boat would cost in your area.

2005 Air Nautique Team Edition
                          350 MPI Engine
                          Composote Swim
                          4 Pull-Out Cleats
                          Filp-up driver Seat
                          ATOurnament Love Seat
                          Heater
                          Snap COver
                          2 Ballast, Helm COntrol
                          Flight Clips (2)
                          Perfect PAss Digital Pro
                          Tower Mirror
                          Rd CD Clarion 4 Speakers
                          Bow Speakers
                          Single axle trailer
                          Transport and Prep.

Thank you for your help

JF

Comment

RE: Pricing

OOOH a single axle trailer. why would you want that?

I would guess that boat would be around 62K

Comment

RE: Pricing

Are you referring to a 206 Air Nautique or a 216 Air Nautique? Sometimes the price will depend on the area and what the demand is for them in that area.

Comment

The boat is a 206 Air Nautique.

Thanks

JFT

Comment

Working...
                                X