Explaining Correct Craft Vs Nautique

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Explaining Correct Craft Vs Nautique

I find myself doing this a lot...someone asks me what brand/model boat to get for X amount of money that they want to use for x, y, z uses. They have usually done some homework so know the major brand names and relative prices ranges already. I of course recommend "Correct Craft" and I get a blank look, then I back up and say well, "Nautique" and they go “oh, yeah”. The same thing happens when you do a search for boats on for example www.boattrader.com, they have Nautique and Correct craft as two separate boat manufacturers, and you get two different sets of results searching for each of them. Since they have put the word "Nautique" in every model for as long as anybody can remember, they have unofficially become Nautique boats, and Correct Craft has lost its meaning except for on forums such as this where people know these details. I don’t know the solution to this, but they have got themselves in a marketing conundrum when a Correct Craft/Nautique loyalist like myself has a difficult time explaining this to someone who is interested in buying a boat…
    -Jon
    16 G23
    07 220 TE
    05 211 TE
    95 SS (210)
    89 SN

I know exactly what you mean, I never know if I should say my boat is a CC or Nautique. lol
    2008 SANTE 230
    2005 SAN 210 - Sold

Comment

I usually say something like "a 1998 Ski Nautique by Correct Craft". But it just depends who I am talking to.
      1998 Ski Nautique Open Bow

Perfect Pass / Z Box / 66" HO S1 / HO Attack

- My Other Toys -

2002 Schwarz ///M3

2004 Silbergrau Metallic BMW 330

Comment

People either (a) know Nautique only, (b) know Nautique and CC, or (c) don't know anything. Nobody knows Correct Craft and does not know Nautique. As such, I say "Nautique".
        Now
        2000 SAN

Previously
        1999 Air Nautique
        1996 Tige Pre-2000
        1989 Lowe 24' Pontoon / Johnson 100HP outboard

Comment

Originally posted by Chexi View Post
          People either (a) know Nautique only, (b) know Nautique and CC, or (c) don't know anything. Nobody knows Correct Craft and does not know Nautique. As such, I say "Nautique".

^^ this sums it up

Comment

I was thinking about this last night. What is correct craft now? Not like they make other things like jet skis or cars. I would love a history lesson

Comment

Originally posted by 210GA View Post
              ^^ this sums it up
              Ditto...and when I tell most people that I own a ski/wake boat. 90% of the people ask what brand. 100% of the 90% always say "What brand...pause....Nautique?"

Asking as if they expect me to be embarrassed and answer with some lower class response like Moomba or MasterCraft.

I always tingle inside when this happens....because my response is always a proud "yes....(pause for dramatic effect)....Nautique"

Comment

Do the new nautiques, such as the 200's, say CorrectCraft on the seats? Or do they only say Nautique????

My 98 SNOB and my parents 95 Sport says Correct Craft on every seat.
                1998 Ski Nautique Open Bow

Perfect Pass / Z Box / 66" HO S1 / HO Attack

- My Other Toys -

2002 Schwarz ///M3

2004 Silbergrau Metallic BMW 330

Comment

The only place my 08 210 says CC is on the oval emblem on the glove box it says Nautiques by Correct Craft. I have always looked at my boat as a Nautique built by Correct Craft kinda like Corvette by Chevrolet. If you want a history lesson post this on CorrectCraftFan.

Comment

You have to remember that Correct Craft built other brands besides Nautiques for many years. But for the last 22 years I think(I think 89 was the last year of the Martinique), there has only been one brand. Essentially, Correct Craft as a brand name has gone away and been replaced by Nautiques. It is what it is. Tell people you have a Nautique.
                    Shane Hill
                    2014 Team 200OB
                    67 '13 Prophecy

Comment

I will add something else. Is it Nautique or Nautiques with an S? On my boat some of the badges/markings have it with an S and some without an S? Petty stuff I know but shouldn't it all be one consistent name?

Comment

I'll try and give you a little history behind the name CC and Nautique. First, WC Meloon named the company the Florida Variety Boat Company in 1925. In 1930 it became the Pine Castle Boat and Construction Company. Eight years later it became Correct Craft. WC Meloon came up with this name after seeing a shoe business advertising the "Correct Heal". In 1961, CC agreed to buy the Ski Nautique from Leo Bentz a Miami ski school operator that realized building ski boats was not for him. Over time the name Ski Nautique became very strong. This boat was the start of the tow boat industry. Rob Shirley who started Mastercraft in 1968 made some design changes to his SN and built the first MC. This is another story!By the late 80's CC was building mostly SN's. The marketing dept realized the strength of the name and started naming models with the name Nautique. IE Barefoot Nautique, Sport Nautique, Fish Nautique, Sea Nautique, Bass Nautique, and etc. CC and the management team realized they were a tow boat company and decided to focus on this and be the best at it! When wakeboarding started to take off, the Air Nautique and Super Air Nautique were born. The marketing dept started running more and more ads using the name Nautiques by CC. There was much debate over the years with the two names within the company and for a period of time there were several changes in the management. With each leadership change there was different opinions with how the names would be used. IE. In the mid 2000's the leadership decided the name CC should be sewn into the upholstery and used on the transom of the boat. When Bill Yeargin came on board this was one of several items to be addressed. He and the management team have done a great job of addressing this. Nautique Boats is the name used in all marketing. The two names are not mixed together on the boats. Over time this marketing mix up will be corrected. Right now I view it as more of an issue by age. If you are under 40, the name Nautique is what you are accustom too. If you are 50 + the name CC still sticks in your mind. The team at CC, opps Nautique is working hard to fix the mistakes of the past with the two names. You can tell which age group I'm in!

Comment

^ Great history.

I would add that it also depends on how you were brought up. I was brought up working each summer on Walt Meloon's boat, skiing on a Dominique or several SN's, and driving the only outboard Barefoot Nautique in existence. To me it has and probably always will be Ski Nautique by Correct Craft. It probably also helps that we have one of the old CC signs in our shop.

Comment

Originally posted by Nautiquehunter View Post
                            The only place my 08 210 says CC is on the oval emblem on the glove box it says Nautiques by Correct Craft. I have always looked at my boat as a Nautique built by Correct Craft kinda like Corvette by Chevrolet. If you want a history lesson post this on CorrectCraftFan.
                            Great way to look at it!!!!!
                            2008 Super Air 210 Team
                            2004 AIR 206 Team
                            1997 Ski Nautique 196
                            1993 Ski Nautique SNOB

Don\'t let yourself get old and say, \"I wish I would have.........\"!

Comment

My boat says Ski Nautique in three spots, both side decals and the badge on the dash. It says Correct Craft in five spots (two side decals and three spots sewn into the seats). I suppose there are two other Nautique indications on the original Airguide gauges (or now the one Airguide and the "N" emblem on the Perfect Pass gauge) as well as on the two side decals since it says Nautiques by Correct Craft. So about even or close enough But, in truth, they were leaning "Nautiques" by the late 90s. I still refer to my boat as a Ski Nautique and the company as Correct Craft. Just how I originally learned about it.
                              Last edited by east tx skier; 09-08-2011, 07:43 PM.
                              1998 Ski Nautique (Red/Silver Cloud), GT-40, Perfect Pass Stargazer 8.0z (Zbox), Acme #422, Tunable Rudder.

Comment

Working...
                              X