Can I Modify the Hydro Gate ??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can I Modify the Hydro Gate ??

The Hydro Gate doesnt seem at all helpful to me. I love the wake plates on most other brands though. Is there a way to make the hydro gate bigger to help produce a bigger wake? I noticed there are holes in the gate already. The second picture is of Malibus plate.. All other brands are soo much larger.

I don't know if there is a way to modify the Hydro Gate. The Malibu has what they call The Wedge. It is a totally different animal than the Hydro Gate so it is really an apples to oranges comparison. The Wedge is actually a hydrofoil of sorts that creates downforce on the rear of the boat to make the wake bigger. The Hydo Gate is only designed to tweak the shape of the wake from more steep to a more gradual ramp. My suggestion is more weight in the boat.
    I used to have a Malibu and I used the Wedge plus additional ballast bags over top of the hard tanks. With my 210 I never change the Hydro Gate out of the vert postion.
    2007 Malibu Wakesetter 23 LSV, 1995 Cobalt 200

Comment

There's no need. Just add more weight. The hydro gate will either add more Lip to the wake or mellow it out. Its not designed to make the wake bigger. You need weight for that.
      Migs

G21 - En route
      SAN 210 TE (Finally)
      06 Sky Supreme V220(previous)
      05 Sanger V210(previous)
      01 MC X1(previous)
      99 Air Warrior(previous)

Comment

Originally posted by Ccamp2 View Post
        The Hydro Gate doesnt seem at all helpful to me. I love the wake plates on most other brands though. Is there a way to make the hydro gate bigger to help produce a bigger wake? I noticed there are holes in the gate already. The second picture is of Malibus plate.. All other brands are soo much larger.
        The Hydrogate works completely different than malibus wedge. When the hydrogate is deployed, it creates lift on the transom of the boat so the boat rides higher in the water, producing a smaller wake. For instance, slalom skiers usually prefer the gate to be deployed or at the forward position. When the gate is up, it allows the transom to sit lower and displace more water, creating a slight change in shape and size of the wake.
        It is best to have the gate up (pulled back in the 1 position) for wakeboarding and wakesurfing.

Nautique designed their boats to sit lower in the water and use a device to lift the boat for planing/skiing, while Malibu boats naturally ride higher on the water and require a device to pull the boat down and displace more water.
        2012 SANTE 230

Comment

Plate will also help your ride on plane similar to a trim on out drive. Next time your cruising push the plate in the water and the bow will settle down.

Comment

Working...
          X