New PCM engine ZR4?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by NautiqueJeff View Post
    Here's a picture of a ZR4, for anyone interested.

**Sent from my iPhone using the PLANETNAUTIQUE Mobile App
    So it appears to have an open cooling system in contrast to the ZR6. At least I don't see a heat exchanger.
    2007 Malibu Wakesetter 23 LSV, 1995 Cobalt 200

Comment

Originally posted by sfjakey View Post
      It has a cast iron block with aluminum heads. It has to have closed cooling.
      Could be an iron head LS 6.0 or early truck heads. In that case it could be open cooling like the picture looks like it. I don't see a coolant tank either.Heck if that's the case...........AWESOME!!! For most of us that fine!!!!

Comment

Yeah, it appears to be raw water cooled. I'll look closer at it tomorrow and get other pics if anyone wants them.

Current Boats —> 2025 Super Air Nautique G23 -- 2001 Ski Nautique -- 2000 Nautique Super Sport PYTHON -- 2000 Nautique Super Sport -- 1999 Ski Nautique PYTHON -- 1998 Ski Nautique -- 1985 Sea Nautique 2700 (Twin-Engine, 1 of 13) -- 1981 Fish Nautique (Twin-Engine, 1 of 4) -- 1980 Fish Nautique (Twin-Engine, 1 of 4)
        Former Boats —> 2024 Super Air Nautique G23 PARAGON -- 2023 Super Air Nautique G23 --
        2022 Super Air Nautique G23 PARAGON -- 2021 Super Air Nautique G23 -- 2021 Super Air Nautique G23 -- 2020 Super Air Nautique G23 -- 2019 Super Air Nautique G23 -- 2018 Super Air Nautique G23-- 2018 SAN 210 TE -- 2017 Super Air Nautique G23 -- 2016 Super Air Nautique G23 -- 2015 Super Air Nautique G23 -- 2014 Super Air Nautique G23 -- 2014 Super Air Nautique 230 Team Edition2013 Super Air Nautique G232012 Super Air Nautique 210 Team Edition2011 Super Air Nautique 210 Team Edition2010 Super Air Nautique 210 Team Edition2008 Super Air Nautique 230 Team Edition2007 Air Nautique 236 Team Edition -- 2007 Air Nautique SV-211 -- 2005 SV-211 -- 2003 Super Air Nautique 210 Team Edition -- 2003 Air Nautique 226 -- 2003 Sport Nautique 216 -- 2003 Ski Nautique 196 -- 2003 Ski Nautique 196-- 2002 Ski Nautique-- 2001 Sport Nautique -- 2001 Ski Nautique -- 2000 Sport Nautique --1999 Ski Nautique Open Bow -- 1999 Air Tique 176 -- 1998 Ski Nautique -- 1998 Ski Nautique -- 1997 Ski Nautique -- 1997 Ski Nautique -- 1996 Ski Nautique Open Bow -- 1994 Ski Nautique -- 1993 Barefoot Nautique -- 1983 Fish Nautique (TWIN ENGINE, 1 of 4) -- 1981 Fish Nautique (SINGLE ENGINE)

Need something for your boat? Please check out our site sponsors! Not only do they offer the best products available, they also support this site.
        NautiqueParts.com - Phoenix Trailers - SkiSafe - PCM Marine Engines - PerfectPass - C&S Marine - OJ Propellers

Comment

The ZR4 is a great engine. It was the upgrade in the 196 and Centurion Carbon Pro. I personally owned a 2008 I got with 2,035 hours and sold it still running like a tank with 2,250 hours. Compression checked out within 4% variation (Compression Check Excellent 180-185 with 4.3% variation). Can still get a new one for $12,000 from SKIDIM.

Comment

Originally posted by BuoyTique View Post
            The ZR4 is a great engine. It was the upgrade in the 196 and Centurion Carbon Pro. I personally owned a 2008 I got with 2,035 hours and sold it still running like a tank with 2,250 hours. Compression checked out within 4% variation (Compression Check Excellent 180-185 with 4.3% variation). Can still get a new one for $12,000 from SKIDIM.
            You're actually referring to the zr390, not the zr4.
            2008 SAN 210
            1997 Sport Nautique

Comment

Interesting on ZR6 details on SKIDIM

Comment

So the the open cooling on the ZR4 vs the closed cooling on the ZR409 is the only difference between the 2 engines? I see the ZR4 on PCM website has 409hp like Jeff said...I can't find the torque rating for it tho, the ZR409 has 492ft lbs of torque....which is more than the H6 @ 465 ft lbs of torque even tho it has 450hp.
                The H5 has 405 ft lbs of torque @ 355hp, so how is the H5 an upgrade then to the 409 engine (ZR409 or ZR4)? I have heard something about the torque curve of the H5 being slightly higher at certain rpm, guess I am just not sure how that works or why. Sometime I need to drive an H5 back to back with my boat, don't think I driven one of those yet.

Comment

So why no reference to ZR4?

Comment

BuoyTique I think skidim may have put some alternate words in there and have incorrect info (very weird I must say), but I have the ZR409 in my boat and the cover does not look like that picture or say ZR6 on it...Also here is the direct quote from the PCM website (my engine does match their pic, link below), which is same wording on the skidim engine ad (minus the ZR6 references).

http://www.pleasurecraft.com/zr_ces.html
                    When it comes to performance, the PCM ZR-409 is the most powerful engine in the line-up. Equipped with the Catanium Clean Emission System, it's rated at 409 horsepower and when equipped with PCM's famous Power Plus 1.23:1 transmission, it makes an incredible 492 foot-pounds of torque.

Equipped with the Catanium Clean Emission system, the ZR-409 meets and exceeds stringent regulations for emission control. Catanium is standard equipment in California and available as an option in the other states.

The ZR-409 features PCM's new HO exhaust system, has high performance aluminum heads, and is freshwater cooled. The distributorless ignition with platinum tip spark plugs stretches maintenance intervals into years. The serpentine belt system and modular raw water pump make routine maintenance a snap. The stainless steel pump is tough and specially engineered for the demands of the marine environment.

The ZR-409is super quiet, incredibly smooth, and provides neck-snapping performance. And for all this power, the ZR-409 still runs on standard octane fuel while the competition's high performance engines require premium.

Comment

You will find reference to the ZR4...if you go to the PCM main page and then click on the engines for Nautique

Comment

492 foot lbs of torque appears to be after the transmission. The H6 is quoted at the engine. Big difference. It's like saying the H6 with a 2 to 1 trans has 900 ftlbs.

Comment

Maybe you are correct since they list the 1.23:1....my boat actually has the 1.48:1 trans, but PCM is putting out all the info listed, don't know why they would not quote them all the same since different brands have a different trans

Comment

"The ZR409, a 6.0 liter GM Vortec engine, makes 409 horsepower and when equipped with PCM’s famous Power Plus 1.23:1 transmission, an incredible 492 foot-pounds of torque. The ZR6 features PCM’s totally new HO exhaust system, which has high performance aluminum heads and is freshwater cooled. The distributorless ignition with platinum tip spark plugs stretches maintenance intervals into years. The serpentine belt system with auto-tension makes it incredibly easy to change the impeller – it takes less than two minutes and two tools to swap it out from the observer’s seat. The ZR6 features the industry’s first modular raw water pump, with direct-engine mount - no brackets for increased durability. The stainless steel pump is tough and specially engineered for the demands of the marine environment. The ZR6 is super quiet, incredibly smooth, and provides neck-snapping performance. And for all this power, the ZR6 still runs on standard octane fuel while the competition’s high performance engines require premium"

1. "Incredibly easy" my ***. Less then 2 minutes and two tools...Seriously, not!!!!!!!!! If you have done this a few times it is not too bad...But indmar has a system where you don't have to take off the belt to change the pump impeller. And what the heck does that mean "from the observer's seat"? You have to remove the belt from the pump, and then it is not that easy to use a 10mm to remove the "module pump"....Indmar better.
                            2. Stainless steel pump tough enough for marine environment. Not....had to replace mine with boat under 400 hours due to terrible squealing sound from bearing inside of the modular bearing body...

The pcm engines in my opinion are nice, but somewhat over engineered for what they do compared to other mfgrs performance.

Admittedly, it is nice to use 87 octane fuel...
                            Last edited by scottb7; 10-06-2017, 10:32 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by scottb7 View Post
                              "The ZR409, a 6.0 liter GM Vortec engine, makes 409 horsepower and when equipped with PCM’s famous Power Plus 1.23:1 transmission, an incredible 492 foot-pounds of torque. The ZR6 features PCM’s totally new HO exhaust system, which has high performance aluminum heads and is freshwater cooled. The distributorless ignition with platinum tip spark plugs stretches maintenance intervals into years. The serpentine belt system with auto-tension makes it incredibly easy to change the impeller – it takes less than two minutes and two tools to swap it out from the observer’s seat. The ZR6 features the industry’s first modular raw water pump, with direct-engine mount - no brackets for increased durability. The stainless steel pump is tough and specially engineered for the demands of the marine environment. The ZR6 is super quiet, incredibly smooth, and provides neck-snapping performance. And for all this power, the ZR6 still runs on standard octane fuel while the competition’s high performance engines require premium"

1. "Incredibly easy" my ***. Less then 2 minutes and two tools...Seriously, not!!!!!!!!! If you have done this a few times it is not too bad...But indmar has a system where you don't have to take off the belt to change the pump impeller. And what the heck does that mean "from the observer's seat"? You have to remove the belt from the pump, and then it is not that easy to use a 10mm to remove the "module pump"....Indmar better.
                              2. Stainless steel pump tough enough for marine environment. Not....had to replace mine with boat under 400 hours due to terrible squealing sound from bearing inside of the modular bearing body...

The pcm engines in my opinion are nice, but somewhat over engineered for what they do compared to other mfgrs performance.

Admittedly, it is nice to use 87 octane fuel...
                              I agree. It was easier to change the impeller on my Indmar. And since you mentioned Indmar, I like the aluminum serpentine belt pulleys that Indmar uses because they don't rust like the steel pulleys PCM uses.
                              2007 Malibu Wakesetter 23 LSV, 1995 Cobalt 200

Comment

Working...
                              X