Gel Coat Repair

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gel Coat Repair

I have a G23 with Onyx Black hull that has some chips missing out of the side of the bow (neighbours floating dock let go in a storm). Which Gel Coat repair kit is the best? I think I remember seeing one on nautique parts but not sure how good it is. Also how deep o a gouge can these kits repair?

I have used the spectrum kits before and they worked great, I used it on my 20 year old Sport so there was a bit of a color diff but that would probably be less of an issue with a newer boat. You can use the kit on anything where the damage is mostly gel coat. If there is a lot of fiberglass damage you may want to fill with fiber glass first but if it's just damage to the gel coat then the patch kit work great.

The gel in the kits comes in a paste similar to tooth paste (maybe a little thicker) and is very easy to apply. Just make sure you prep the surface as per the directions, the hole should be clean and smooth, it's better to make the area a little bigger to give the patch more area to stick to.

It's a pretty low risk fix as any issues can be fixed by removing the gelcoat (sand or grind it) and patching it again.. I was really worried about doing the fix before I tried but it came out much better then expected. now I know I'll be able to patch small areas of damage if needed.

Comment

great topic- I need to repair a black chip on neighbors boat that has a black hull. I was going to use the spectrum kit as well. I did a search and got some ideas about how to do it, but would love to see a step by step process with pics and proper materials, tools. let us know how it goes.
      2016 G23

Comment

Look up 'DIY Gelcoat Repair' on WakeWorld. Great detailed post on doing the repair. My biggest piece of advice it to enlarge the spot of the repair as suggested. I didn't want to do this as I wanted to avoid making the repair area bigger but really it will leave you with a better final result.

The repair it'self is super easy, just prep the area properly and you will be fine.

I really enjoyed the process and think it came out great. I am looking forward to fixing my next few spots.

Comment

Originally posted by Blamey View Post
          Look up 'DIY Gelcoat Repair' on WakeWorld. Great detailed post on doing the repair. My biggest piece of advice it to enlarge the spot of the repair as suggested. I didn't want to do this as I wanted to avoid making the repair area bigger but really it will leave you with a better final result.

The repair it'self is super easy, just prep the area properly and you will be fine.

I really enjoyed the process and think it came out great. I am looking forward to fixing my next few spots.
          Thanks for the info guys! Did you order direct from spectrum? I see they have liquid gel and the paste, pate is obvious easier way to go? Also what other solvents/tools are needed to complete the repair?

Comment

Originally posted by nohlan_4 View Post

Thanks for the info guys! Did you order direct from spectrum? I see they have liquid gel and the paste, pate is obvious easier way to go? Also what other solvents/tools are needed to complete the repair?
            I've only used the paste and that's what I'd recommend. I think if you use the liquid you need to spray it on (like paint). I got mine from Nautique parts as they had the correct color.

Look at the post I mentioned above, it really has all the details you need but basically you will need.

Acetone to clean the repair area
            You want to enlarge the repair ares to give the gel something to stick too.
            Wet Sandpaper (400,800,1500.200) to sand down then polish the repair.
            Polish and wax to make it shine.

Comment

Working...
            X