Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Winter boat upgrade progress thread: 2016/2017

Hi gang,

A few other forums that I'm part of discuss what you're going to do with your hobby to keep things interesting in the winter, so I figured I would do the same here. Here's the just - this will run from now until whenever you put your boat back in the water, life gets in the way, you run out of money/time/help/knowledge (or all of the above!) Post a quick snippet of what you plan to do (be reasonable...) and then post progress as you go. Some things may warrant their own thread, so feel free to cross link to help keep track of things. Edit your original post if you feel like it, but progress posts are always welcome (and remember, this thread is worthless without pictures!)

So let's see the new stereos, surf devices, and winterizing techniques!

To get this kicked off, here's the stats of my current boat:

SAN SV-211 TE (2006)

Winter projects:

- Winterization to be kept in a climate controlled garage (no antifreeze)
    - AquaMarine Deck (competitor to seadek) Status: Template done and mailed in.
    - LED bow lights
    - HangTite cover straps
    - Ballast Pump relocation
    - PerfectPass software changes - I'd like the rpm mode to kick in at a lower RPM so i can use it in no-wake zones with better effect
    - New Prop (and recondition the one that I played "lumberjack" with)
    - Surf Storage Bimini pockets
    - Zipper for "emergency shelter"... this might be a bit of a stretch, but we've been caught in a few pretty serious rain storms this year....

Now, let's see how much (if any of this) I can get accomplished this winter!
    Last edited by theskunk; 11-26-2016, 12:45 AM.

Comment

My list is long - see https://www.planetnautique.com/vb5/f...-95-supersport

But it is easy to see progress.

so far I have all seat cushions out, staples removed, new starboard rear seat bottom cushion base made and all cushions dropped at the upholsterer to get re-installed appropriately.

I've put in a New steering cable, fuel filter, oil change, water strainer, blower, and auto bilge and Fixed all bad wiring (interior and nav lights)

I surface mounted (flush) 4 Polk db651s

i replaced a skeg

i cleaned and re finished the teak platform (5 coats of oil and still soaking it up!)

i pulled the old tower and ballast and filled and wetsanded holes in the top deck.

I wetsanded top top deck with 1000 grit once

i wetsanded blue stripe with 1000 grit and buffed with meguiars ultra and finish cut quickly to see how far I need to go - looks good so not much farther!

tomorrow I will peel pinstripe and continue wetsanding the black stripe and white below.

I got a hole cover cover made for the pylon hole in the floor

i ordered all auto ballast components today so that can begin

i made engine dividers out of .5" black hdpe. I will mount floor brackets and vertical supports at rear when I am ready to install gas lift struts and latch for the sun deck

springtime will be finalizing the stereo, installing hydrophase GPS, ballast thru hulls, and minor engine work.

Looking at this I should start a progress thread. Sorry for the lengthy post - I'm stoked to have this boat!

Kyle
      Last edited by kylem03; 11-26-2016, 12:12 AM.

Comment

Kyle what are you doing for ballast?

Comment

Originally posted by kylem03 View Post
          My list is long

But it is easy to see progress.
          HOLY CRAP... and I thought my list was long!

Okay - this is what I was talking about, except, MOAR PICTURES!

What tower are you going to go with, and I second the request for your ballast info.

Sounds like you got a great boat that needed some TLC and are really digging into it! Should be like brand new (actually, better!) when done.

Comment

Hey Trip,

im putting a 3 reversible pump system using the Johnson pumps from wakemakers. $160 a piece this weekend and I already had 1 from my sport nautique. I'll be running everything off 2 .75" thru hulls. 750's on each side of the engine under the sun deck, a 370# tube sac for the ski locker (had this from my sport as well), and a open bow triangle sac that came with the boat under the playpen (fills to 600#). All in all it'll be around 2500#. Each 750 will be on a dedicated fill and vent while the belly and bow will share a pump and will be piggybacked. All fil lines will be 1" and vent lines will be 3/4. Ordered new stainless thru hills for all vent and bilge fittings as well.

Oh yeh, forgot to mention that I have to mount the NDT I took off my sport. I have new feet pads and angled front feet shims coming for that as well.

and a new black rubrail insert. Can't find teal anywhere and the blue that is available doesn't match well.

Kyle

Comment

Ok here are some random pics to get started! So as to not thread jack, I'll start a new dedicated progress thread tonight

Sent from my iPhone using PLT Nautique

Comment

Used these rings off Amazon for the flush mount speakers. Took out all the old pvc and was able to place new speakers without cutting foam or vinyl. It was a Stretch but I think it turned out nice. Super easy for anyone considering this mod to get rid of the fabric covers - at least once you have the combing pads out of the boat.

Pylon hole cover - thanks j10siewert!

Platform after one of the last coats of oil. Don't mind my basement mess please!

Sent from my iPhone using PLT Nautique

Comment

I am going to be doing a few things to get my mastercraft ready to sell in the spring. Do you have some tips on refinishing your teak platform? Yours looks great

Sent from my iPad using PLT Nautique

Comment

I've done a few now and before I would sand them down. This one I just used the star brite 3-step clean-brighten-oil process and am very satisfied. Not nearly as time consuming. Just follow the directions on the bottles. Surprised at how much grime the cleaner and brush took off, and how just that step was a marked improvement.

Kyle

Comment

star brite 3 step works pretty good, take your time and follow the steps.
                      2013 SANTE 210
                      2011 Sport 200 V
                      1994 Bimini Skier Pro 190
                      1986 Master Craft Pro Star 190

Comment

Hi gang, a couple of quick updates from my front (since this thread had been dead for a while, too!)

Winter projects:

- Winterization to be kept in a climate controlled garage (no antifreeze)

Done!

- AquaMarine Deck (competitor to seadek) Status: Template done and mailed in.

Pulled carpets, got the quote back, pretty reasonable, now to save up and get it!

- LED bow lights

I think I've found the ones i'm going with - sounds like many forum members have already done this mod!

- HangTite cover straps

Waiting until spring, looks like I'll need three of them.

- Ballast Pump relocation

I just *don't* want to do this one. It looks like a pain in the butt, but it might actually hold an extra gallon or two of the water in the hoses!

I've also decided to put a few steel-shot weight bags in the very nose near where the anchor lives, hopefully I can offset some of the belly-ballast needs by pushing it further forward.

- PerfectPass software changes - I'd like the rpm mode to kick in at a lower RPM so i can use it in no-wake zones with better effect

Pulled the master module and mailed it off - 100.00 including return shipping to get the RPM dropped, not bad!

- New Prop (and recondition the one that I played "lumberjack" with)

Pictures attached to the bottom to show what I did to this one... oops!

- Surf Storage Bimini pockets

Meeting the guy tomorrow to put these on. Excited to show some progress!

- Zipper for "emergency shelter"... this might be a bit of a stretch, but we've been caught in a few pretty serious rain storms this year....

Same guy is going to discuss the emergency shelter, might be doing an "igloo" as shown here:

http://www.wakeworld.com/MB/Discus/m...tml?1169133748

Sounds like it's not so much of a stretch, but it's not going to be pretty, especially with my over-the-tower bimini! :-/

Comment

How much was the bimini pockets? This is one I'm interested in. Did manage to get the surf pipe and prop going this winter. Although in Florida, I can still kinda ride anyway.

Comment

1. Sell my 196 - check
                            2. Buy new boat - check

I haven't had to oil a platform in quite some time, but back when I did, here's my method:

1. Clean (of course)
                            2. Sand
                            3. Clean again
                            4. Layer of tung oil
                            5. Wetsand
                            6. Layer of tung oil
                            7. Repeat steps 4-6 until you're satisfied.
                            8. I finished it off by rubbing it down with steel wool

I'm no wood worker, but the results were awesome

Attached Files
                            '08 196LE (previous)
                            '07 196LE (previous)
                            2 - '06 196SE's (previous)

Comment

Originally posted by swc5150 View Post
                              1. Sell my 196 - check
                              2. Buy new boat - check

NO. you do *NOT* get to come in my thread and not tell us what you bought!

Seriously though - looks amazing!

Comment

Working...
                              X