Winter boat upgrade progress thread: 2016/2017

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by tachudda View Post
    How much was the bimini pockets? This is one I'm interested in. Did manage to get the surf pipe and prop going this winter. Although in Florida, I can still kinda ride anyway.
    First quote was 250. I'm getting a couple of other quotes. When I get it done, I'll send it out. This guy seems to want to do them as a side project if people want to mail their bimini in. I'm in Northern VA and my company would probably act as the intermediary to do the design work/etc.

Comment

Originally posted by theskunk View Post

NO. you do *NOT* get to come in my thread and not tell us what you bought!

Seriously though - looks amazing!
      I'll preface by saying, I'm still a CC fanatic, but I couldn't resist the features and deal I got from the competition. Dare I even post this pic?! Click image for larger version

Name:	Prostar.jpg
Views:	340
Size:	53.0 KB
ID:	509040
      '08 196LE (previous)
      '07 196LE (previous)
      2 - '06 196SE's (previous)

Comment

Blaspheme!

Comment

A 200 will be its bunkmate at the family lake house. We're equal opportunity skiers
          '08 196LE (previous)
          '07 196LE (previous)
          2 - '06 196SE's (previous)

Comment

Update time!

- Winterization to be kept in a climate controlled garage (no antifreeze)

Long done... itching to put it all back to running mode!

- AquaMarine Deck (competitor to seadek) Status: Template done and mailed in.

Got the design back, paid and should have it by the end of the month.

- LED bow lights

Ordered these:
            https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...=ACSOVW5LP5G75

I'll post before/after shots (unfortunately only while in the garage...)

- HangTite cover straps

Ordered - won't install until I'm ready to put the cover on in the spring

- Ballast Pump relocation

Debating whether or not to do this... it's on the list...

- PerfectPass software changes - I'd like the rpm mode to kick in at a lower RPM so i can use it in no-wake zones with better effect

Mailed off - not back yet...

- New Prop (and recondition the one that I played "lumberjack" with)

Ordered a 1578 after talking to the folks at ACME - Bought an open-box from WakeMakers

- Surf Storage Bimini pockets

Having some trouble here - trying to find a place that understands what I want *AND* has the material without charging me for full rolls (I want netting and neoprene in the design....) Seems to be troublesome.

- Zipper for "emergency shelter"... this might be a bit of a stretch, but we've been caught in a few pretty serious rain storms this year....

Found a place to do this - also going to have some isinglass built into it so that I can see around things... should work out quite well.

Comment

Originally posted by kylem03 View Post
              My list is long - see https://www.planetnautique.com/vb5/f...-95-supersport

But it is easy to see progress.

so far I have all seat cushions out, staples removed, new starboard rear seat bottom cushion base made and all cushions dropped at the upholsterer to get re-installed appropriately.

I've put in a New steering cable, fuel filter, oil change, water strainer, blower, and auto bilge and Fixed all bad wiring (interior and nav lights)

I surface mounted (flush) 4 Polk db651s

i replaced a skeg

i cleaned and re finished the teak platform (5 coats of oil and still soaking it up!)

i pulled the old tower and ballast and filled and wetsanded holes in the top deck.

I wetsanded top top deck with 1000 grit once

i wetsanded blue stripe with 1000 grit and buffed with meguiars ultra and finish cut quickly to see how far I need to go - looks good so not much farther!

tomorrow I will peel pinstripe and continue wetsanding the black stripe and white below.

I got a hole cover cover made for the pylon hole in the floor

i ordered all auto ballast components today so that can begin

i made engine dividers out of .5" black hdpe. I will mount floor brackets and vertical supports at rear when I am ready to install gas lift struts and latch for the sun deck

springtime will be finalizing the stereo, installing hydrophase GPS, ballast thru hulls, and minor engine work.

Looking at this I should start a progress thread. Sorry for the lengthy post - I'm stoked to have this boat!

Kyle
              Kyle, I recently bought a '96 SSN. I haven't picked it up yet but I know I already want to do some of the things you did. I know I want that pylon out of the middle, love to see more on that. As well as the combing pad removal. My whole stereo is gonna go bye-bye, so it sounds like getting the pads out is tough, any insight would be appreciated.

Mike

Comment

Hey Mike! Congrats on the purchase. Pylon removal was easy! It was already out lol. In any case you will likely need to pull all the seat bases then take out the center floor section. This should then expose a few u-bolts in the pylon carriage under the floor. Remove these and the pylon will come right out. I bought a CBC' cover from j10 on here. I can get his email to you if you like, otherwise PM him. The cover fits great and is a real nice addition, especially compared to the hole. As far as combing pad removal, it is very easy once the seat bases are out. You will be lying on the floor with a 7/16" (I think) open end wrench undoing the nuts and washers from the back side. It is no big deal once you make some room to work. Also, if you are going to do recessed speakers, I bought too many of those spacer rings and have 4 that I could sell you for cheap if you are interested. I know they aren't very expensive to begin with but I won't be using them.

Let me know know if you have any specific questions! It gets to be more fun when you start putting things back together! I will be installing my ballast pumps, tower, and fresh air exhaust soon!

kyle

Comment

Kyle as a fellow Ss owner (converted to SAN) we need pics

Comment

Hey Mike! Congrats on the purchase. Pylon removal was easy! It was already out lol. In any case you will likely need to pull all the seat bases then take out the center floor section. This should then expose a few u-bolts in the pylon carriage under the floor. Remove these and the pylon will come right out. I bought a CBC' cover from j10 on here. I can get his email to you if you like, otherwise PM him. The cover fits great and is a real nice addition, especially compared to the hole. As far as combing pad removal, it is very easy once the seat bases are out. You will be lying on the floor with a 7/16" (I think) open end wrench undoing the nuts and washers from the back side. It is no big deal once you make some room to work. Also, if you are going to do recessed speakers, I bought too many of those spacer rings and have 4 that I could sell you for cheap if you are interested. I know they aren't very expensive to begin with but I won't be using them.

Let me know know if you have any specific questions! It gets to be more fun when you start putting things back together! I will be installing my ballast pumps, tower, and fresh air exhaust soon!

kyle
                    Sweet. I'll take the speaker rings, not even sure how I'm gonna mount my speakers yet but I think I'd rather have these than not. I'll listen to your advice as I proceed, but I don't even get the boat for another 6 weeks. Lol. I'll be in touch on the rings.

Comment

I'll try and take some more pics this weekend. I have the boat torn apart right now so much of what I can show is in the engine compartment with new dividers, hatch support shocks, and a slam latch. I also had a "shelf" custom fabricated for ballast pumps, a Perko switch, and yandina battery combiner so when I start assembling that things will start coming together back there! The project has gotten a little out of control in that I keep thinking of more upgrades or additions and spending $ I really don't need to be but it'll be worth it in the end.

kyle

Comment

Update time! New toys are here...

ACME 1578 (was going to do the 1234, but they cautioned the clearance and said this was second best)

I'm using the guide from ccf for installing the prop and 'lapping it' to ensure that everything is nice and tidy. also, 32lbs of tq seems to be the happy medium (half of people say 30, half say 35... i'm splitting it)

AquaMarine Decking (competitor to SeaDek) did a custom logo for the center pad. I'll be writing a review of them shortly with install photos, etc. In the process of doing this, several people have asked me to help them do their boats - might be a good way for me to pay for a couple tanks of gas this summer!

LeadWake sent me 4 bags to put into the nose of the boat - turns out these things have been GREAT to help supplement the tape when installing the marine decking. Toss two bags at the end of the the piece of deck while taped down and it prevents the taped end from trying to pull up on itself. Made my life very simple when doing the install. I do feel sort of bad for the mailman who carried each of them up to my front door. Especially since I need to order two more of them....

LED bow/dock lights arrived (no pics of them because nobody wants to see them until they are installed), but they were on amazon. I'll post the link once I do my final write up.

PerfectPass upgraded me to rev 9 of their codebase (not sure what that does) and also reprogrammed for a lower RPM engage point. We are at the very back of a no-wake zone, and while I understand that 640rpm idle forward is the technical definition of 'no-wake' (lowest speed at which you can control the boat), I like to 'cheat' up to about 850-900, which I can now do under pp control (and set it exactly where I want it). The new updated pp master module shipped out to me today. Total upgrade cost, including shipping was 100.00 - well worth it, imho.
                        Attached Files
                        Last edited by theskunk; 02-23-2017, 11:39 PM. Reason: I forgot stuff...

Comment

Aquamarine didn't have a problem doing the "N"? Also, how much do they charge per square foot? I'm working with GatorStep and wondering about price comparison.

Comment

Not at all. Ask and ye shall receive. I think, with a small discount, I paid just over 1200 including the N. they have a graphic designer in house and I spoke to him about it and sent a picture.

Frankly, the customer service and speed at which they work is what sold me. Lead time on the order was like 1.5 weeks, and most of that was time spend doing designs and figuring out how to read the template that I screwed up.

SeaDek was over 6 weeks lead time after the design work was done, and several hundred dollars more. Only thing that I'm still trying to figure out is how to get the old SANO pad off.

Comment

I'll try and take some more pics this weekend. I have the boat torn apart right now so much of what I can show is in the engine compartment with new dividers, hatch support shocks, and a slam latch. I also had a "shelf" custom fabricated for ballast pumps, a Perko switch, and yandina battery combiner so when I start assembling that things will start coming together back there! The project has gotten a little out of control in that I keep thinking of more upgrades or additions and spending $ I really don't need to be but it'll be worth it in the end.

kyle
                              PMd you.

Comment

Hi Gang - A few updates:

New prop - 1578 has the compound and prussian blue is next to the prop (This is a big step!)

AquaMarine Deck - Installed, except the swim platform (which is taking a *lot* of cleaning!!)

LED Docking Lights - Installed, works great!

Fuel Gauge - Fixed - installed new gauge from Nautique Parts

PerfectPass - Installed, Done

Ballast pump relocation - Hit a few snags here. this may end up waiting until next summer... TBD...

Surf Storage/Bimini work - It's on the list, but nobody seems to want to do it in my area for some reason. I'm getting a bit annoyed by this...

And now for the very exciting part - De-winterization! I'll post a few pictures momentarily.

Comment

Working...
                                X