No announcement yet.

PCM Service Advisory - Updated Oil Specifications

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

PCM has generally not advised synthetic oils in the past, but the new directive does not specifically call out synthetics, so I am not sure if they still discourage it or not. I believe the DEXOS Gen 2 oils are all synthetics, so maybe that's why they don't make that statement anymore. I would think either of your two choices above would be fine.

And again, I can't believe NoO is using non-spec-meeting oil, especially the non-detergent part, which is specifically not recommended in the new bulletin!

Current Boats —> 2024 Super Air Nautique G23 PARAGON -- 2003 Ski Nautique 196 -- 2001 Ski Nautique -- 2000 Nautique Super Sport PYTHON -- 2000 Nautique Super Sport -- 1999 Ski Nautique PYTHON -- 1998 Ski Nautique -- 1996 Ski Nautique Open Bow -- 1985 Sea Nautique 2700 (Twin-Engine, 1 of 13) -- 1981 Fish Nautique (Twin-Engine, 1 of 4) -- 1980 Fish Nautique (Twin-Engine, 1 of 4)
    Former Boats —> 2023 Super Air Nautique G23 --
    2022 Super Air Nautique G23 PARAGON -- 2021 Super Air Nautique G23 -- 2021 Super Air Nautique G23 -- 2020 Super Air Nautique G23 -- 2019 Super Air Nautique G23 -- 2018 Super Air Nautique G23-- 2018 SAN 210 TE -- 2017 Super Air Nautique G23 -- 2016 Super Air Nautique G23 -- 2015 Super Air Nautique G23 -- 2014 Super Air Nautique G23 -- 2014 Super Air Nautique 230 Team Edition2013 Super Air Nautique G232012 Super Air Nautique 210 Team Edition2011 Super Air Nautique 210 Team Edition2010 Super Air Nautique 210 Team Edition2008 Super Air Nautique 230 Team Edition2007 Air Nautique 236 Team Edition -- 2007 Air Nautique SV-211 -- 2005 SV-211 -- 2003 Super Air Nautique 210 Team Edition -- 2003 Air Nautique 226 -- 2003 Sport Nautique 216 -- 2003 Ski Nautique 196-- 2002 Ski Nautique-- 2001 Sport Nautique -- 2001 Ski Nautique -- 2000 Sport Nautique --1999 Ski Nautique Open Bow -- 1999 Air Tique 176 -- 1998 Ski Nautique -- 1998 Ski Nautique -- 1997 Ski Nautique -- 1997 Ski Nautique -- 1994 Ski Nautique -- 1993 Barefoot Nautique -- 1983 Fish Nautique (TWIN ENGINE, 1 of 4) -- 1981 Fish Nautique (SINGLE ENGINE)

Need something for your boat? Please check out our site sponsors! Not only do they offer the best products available, they also support this site.
    NautiqueParts.com - Phoenix Trailers - SkiSafe - PCM Marine Engines - PerfectPass - C&S Marine - OJ Propellers

Comment

I use Mobil 1 15w50 in all my boats . The 08 210 since break in 1200 hours . Same with my 89 Supra 900 hours no issues yet.

Comment

To come out with this bulletin clearly indicated there’s a problem, especially to indicate warranty won’t be covered if not followed. Looks like I won’t be picking anything up on the used market not currently under warranty. I was set on a nautique, but this will have me considering other options now as well.

Comment

How does this cause you to look at other options? Do you think the other builders will require a less grade of oil? Marine engines are under max load most of the time. Oil is the cheapest thing you can do for your boat to use anything but the best product available is just silly.

Comment

I’ve been shopping and on the fence between picking up an older 2005-2011 era boat for a good price, then upgrading in a few years (likely when we get another major market correction/reset) vs just getting a newer boat now as our 1st inboard wake/surf boat. I’ve been into offshore center consoles my entire life with outboards
            , (which have become ultra reliable) and have developed a fear of inboards, mostly due to never running or owning one for any period of time.

I also see quite a number of <500 hr boats on the used market with new or rebuilt engines and can’t understand why. When a manufacturer comes out with a rec to change oil requirements, it tells me something is amiss and just can’t help but add to my fear of inboards. Yamaha in 2004-2010 suffered catastrophic internal exhaust passage corrosion and refused to admit it was ever a problem, all they did was blame the consumer claiming they didn’t flush properly so I’ve also come not to trust engine manufacturers.

Comment

All this debate about oil type. Does anyone routinely sample their oil or just me?

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Comment

"When a manufacturer comes out with a rec to change oil requirements, it tells me something is amiss..."

If i had to guess i would say that for pcm after so many years of recommending dino 15w40, they figured it was time if not forced to modernize a bit. so to recommend the dexos 5w30 was the obvious choice.

So while it is irritating to some of us that are long time pcm owners but, it doesn't really mean much...

You just gotta find a boat that they have changed the oil when they should have...

inboards/outboards...probably what your used to...i have only owned inboard (or i/o's with engine in the boat), so i would be lost on an inboard.

Comment

Originally posted by bandit628 View Post
                  All this debate about oil type. Does anyone routinely sample their oil or just me?

When you sample it what do you do? Just look at it or send it away for analysis?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by JAppler View Post

When you sample it what do you do? Just look at it or send it away for analysis?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                    Yes.

Google Blackstone labs. About $30 a sample. I send one off every oil change. Think of it like getting blood work done for your engine.

Comment

Originally posted by UFG8RMIKE View Post
                      I’ve been shopping and on the fence between picking up an older 2005-2011 era boat for a good price, then upgrading in a few years (likely when we get another major market correction/reset) vs just getting a newer boat now as our 1st inboard wake/surf boat. I’ve been into offshore center consoles my entire life with outboards
                      , (which have become ultra reliable) and have developed a fear of inboards, mostly due to never running or owning one for any period of time.

I also see quite a number of <500 hr boats on the used market with new or rebuilt engines and can’t understand why. When a manufacturer comes out with a rec to change oil requirements, it tells me something is amiss and just can’t help but add to my fear of inboards. Yamaha in 2004-2010 suffered catastrophic internal exhaust passage corrosion and refused to admit it was ever a problem, all they did was blame the consumer claiming they didn’t flush properly so I’ve also come not to trust engine manufacturers.

I think if you research the cause of inboard engine replacement you will find most are freeze damage . Yes you have to winterize an inboard . are you using it in salt water?

Comment

I just saw that Costco is now selling a full-synthetic Costco-branded oil. The 5W30 is labeled and DEXOS Gen 2 compliant. Anybody have more information? $24.99 for a 5-quart 2-pack. So... $25 for 10 quarts of full-synthetic DEXOS oil? That's an amazing deal.

Comment

Originally posted by bandit628 View Post
                          Yes.

Google Blackstone labs. About $30 a sample. I send one off every oil change. Think of it like getting blood work done for your engine.

I’ve done this with my vehicles for a long time, but not my boat. I’ll likely do it with the Paragon. It is fun (if you are a gear head, particularly) to watch trends/evaluate the analysis results. It is quite important at to understand how to properly pull a sample, and more messy/more of a pain when extracting the oil the way we do for the boats, versus sticking a cup under the oil drain stream-mid stream, right after the vehicle has been shut down.

My company (one well known to most in the US, actually made the call to stop pulling samples due issues with the variability (even after plenty of training) of techs’ methods and inconsistencies with pulling samples. It is rather maddening, actually.
                          Last edited by RDT-G23; 01-26-2020, 10:23 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Nautiquehunter View Post

I think if you research the cause of inboard engine replacement you will find most are freeze damage . Yes you have to winterize an inboard . are you using it in salt water?
                            I'm in FL, I have my offshore boat for SW, the nautique will be used in freshwater only.

Comment

Originally posted by NautiqueJeff View Post
                              PCM has just released a Service Advisory related to the oil recommended for certain GM-based PCM engines (Including the H5 and H6, all 6.0L engines, XR and XS 550, and the new LSX).

Click image for larger version

Name:	67661556_10215938210102942_7106006164118175744_n.jpg
Views:	6419
Size:	88.4 KB
ID:	591103
                              I would add that this is not current for the ZZ8. It takes 0W-40-(as I was told by a phone call with PCM about a month ago)-but there is no manual out yet to tell anybody this...

Comment

Is there any change in the 2007 V-drive and tranny oil?

Verstuurd vanaf mijn SM-G975F met Tapatalk

230 with ZR6 running on propane

Comment

Working...
                                X