Full Seadek Floor Install on 1999 SAN

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Full Seadek Floor Install on 1999 SAN

Last year I decided that it was finally time to change the carpet in my 1999 SAN. But I did not necessarily want to replace it with more carpet, so I started researching options. After researching all of the faux teak options, I contacted Zach at N3Boatworks to discuss Seadek. Zach provided a lot of encouragement and agreed to provide whatever assistance and guidance he could to help me with the project and I decided to install a full Seadek floor. I finally completed the project last week and thought I’d share with you.

Obviously, Seadek did not have a pattern for my boat, so I ordered some mylar sheets from Seadek to lay down on the floor and trace out a pattern

While I waited for the mylar sheets to arrive, and after pulling the interior, stereo, ballast, etc. from the boat, I began removing the old carpet. I don’t know how many of you have paid attention to how much carpet is in your 210, but I was shocked to discover how much there really is. I ultimately decided to remove all carpet except for what was on the hull walls. This meant removing carpet from the floor from bow to stern, including all of the carpet from underneath the observer’s seat, underneath the helm, from the underside of the bow seating, from the bow floor (which goes underneath the bow walkway), seat bases, hinged seat platforms, transmission cover, engine dividers…everywhere.

Next, I began the process of removing the glue and staples that held the carpet in place. This was, by far, the most time-consuming part of the entire process. There was glue under every bit of carpet…and then some. I scraped and sanded and wire brushed for weeks to remove all the glue. But I eventually got it all off.

Once the carpet was removed, it became evident that the main floor panel, ski-locker lid, and bow subfloor were no longer the correct size. Without carpet wrapping them, they were all too small and too thin. I was also surprised to discover how crooked and out-of-square each piece was. The curve of the ski-locker lid looked like it had been cut by had with a jig-saw and did not even come close to matching the curve in the floor opening. And the bow subfloor had actually been broken into three pieces at some point (I assume at the factory) and stapled back together. And it also lacked a uniform curve to match the bow. Ultimately, I added material (UHMW) edges of the main floor panel and the ski-locker lid so they would match the openings in the floor. And I made a new bow subfloor with the same material.

After removing all of the glue and staples and modifying/making the floor pieces, I cleaned and prepared everything and coated it all with a high-grade epoxy primer.

Next, since Seadek (obviously) does not cover the entire floor and leaves seams, I was faced with the final decision as to what to coat the floor with before adhering the Seadek. Gel coat is the obvious (although expensive) choice for the floor, but I wanted to coat the plastic seat bases, observer’s seat base, seat platforms, etc. with the same color and material as the floor. Accordingly, I opted for a urethane coating that I color-matched to my existing gel and could apply to all of the surfaces, which I did myself. The product is great because it leaves an orange-peel finish that hides many of the imperfections in the materials beneath but is also EXTREMELY hard and durable when dry. Unlike gel coat, I don’t have to worry about scratching or chipping it.

During the time that I was performing the work outlined above, I also traced the floor on the initial mylar sheets and sent them back to Seadek. Seadek prepared a CAD of my pattern and sent me computer-printed mylar sheets based upon the CAD. The first set required adjustments, which I made directly to the CAD mylar sheets, which I sent back to Seadek for modifications. Seadek prepared another CAD and sent me a second pattern a few weeks later, which also required a few more small modifications. After those adjustments were made, Seadek sent me a final CAD from which I ordered my final floor.

I performed all of the work myself and I am extremely pleased with the final outcome. I have attached a before photo and some photos of the process and the final results. It will likely require several posts to get all the photos up. If anyone has any hints about posting larger pics, please let me know.

Click image for larger version

Name:	image_22665.jpg
Views:	3327
Size:	48.1 KB
ID:	381163

Name:	image_22666.jpg
Views:	3203
Size:	36.8 KB
ID:	381164

Name:	image_22681.jpg
Views:	3392
Size:	54.7 KB
ID:	381165

Name:	image_22679.jpg
Views:	3459
Size:	30.6 KB
ID:	381167

Name:	image_22678.jpg
Views:	3215
Size:	33.9 KB
ID:	381166

2017 G23
    2012 210 TE
    1999 SAN
    1995 Sport
    1991 Sport

More pictures...

Name:	image_22676.jpg
Views:	3210
Size:	48.7 KB
ID:	368145

Name:	image_22675.jpg
Views:	3315
Size:	42.4 KB
ID:	368149

Name:	image_22680.jpg
Views:	3275
Size:	87.2 KB
ID:	368148

Name:	image_22677.jpg
Views:	3213
Size:	41.0 KB
ID:	368147

Name:	image_22674.jpg
Views:	3201
Size:	46.4 KB
ID:	368146

2017 G23
    2012 210 TE
    1999 SAN
    1995 Sport
    1991 Sport

Comment

And here are the last few of the finished product...

Name:	image_22667.jpg
Views:	3282
Size:	55.8 KB
ID:	368156

Name:	image_22668.jpg
Views:	3297
Size:	54.1 KB
ID:	368155

Name:	image_22669.jpg
Views:	3278
Size:	61.2 KB
ID:	368154

Name:	image_22670.jpg
Views:	3324
Size:	59.8 KB
ID:	368153

Name:	image_22671.jpg
Views:	3313
Size:	48.6 KB
ID:	368152

Name:	image_22672.jpg
Views:	3385
Size:	63.6 KB
ID:	368151

Name:	image_22673.jpg
Views:	3923
Size:	58.3 KB
ID:	368150

2017 G23
      2012 210 TE
      1999 SAN
      1995 Sport
      1991 Sport

Comment

That looks amazing! I would love to do that to my 91 BF...

Comment

Wow awesome job. I'm sure that was a lot of work but it looks amazing.
          Shawn

2012 Blue Metal Flake SAN 230

1999 Black and Tan Python 502 Powered Super Sport (for Sale)

Comment

First off... Great work there!

This comes up at a perfect time as I was pondering looking at getting Seadek to custom make me some gunnel walking pads for my '03 210 to replace some aging Gatorgrip. Actually looked up their mylar template kits earlier. How easy was Seadek to work with when modifying their CAD templates? None of my pieces would be very large as you can see in the pictures. I'm hoping I can look at some of the newer colors and patterns they recently hinted at on FB.

Name:	image_10767.jpg
Views:	3166
Size:	89.3 KB
ID:	368162

Name:	image_10768.jpg
Views:	3209
Size:	93.4 KB
ID:	368161

Name:	image_10769.jpg
Views:	2567
Size:	9.5 KB
ID:	368160

Name:	image_10770.jpg
Views:	2567
Size:	10.1 KB
ID:	368159

Name:	image_10771.jpg
Views:	3172
Size:	93.2 KB
ID:	368158

Name:	image_10772.jpg
Views:	3274
Size:	94.7 KB
ID:	368157

Name:	image_10766.jpg
Views:	2573
Size:	11.3 KB
ID:	368163

Jason
            All black 2003 SANTE
            -- Southern Fried --

Comment

Thanks guys...we are VERY pleased with the outcome. Had the boat on the lake this weekend and the entire floor was literally dry within a few minutes when we were finished.

Core-rider--I worked through Zack at N3Boatworks, but the modification of the mylar templates was a breeze. The first blank set was the hardes because I was starting from scratch. After that, I just cut the pattern that Seadek sent me, laid it in the area where it would be installed, taped it into place and drew directly onto the mylar pattern with a black marker. Then I rolled it up and sent it back to Seadek and a few weeks later I would receive an email from Zach with the new CAD. Super easy. It just takes time.
              2017 G23
              2012 210 TE
              1999 SAN
              1995 Sport
              1991 Sport

Comment

scarbs-- A+++ brother. Great job.
                2019 G23 450
                2014 G23 550
                2013 G23 450
                2011 Malibu Wakesetter 247
                2007 Yamaha AR210

Comment

I am really upset that you did this. Because you did such an awesome job and your boat looks and functions sooo much better, I now want to do this mod.

Now that seadek has the dimensions and such, is it possible for the people who have the same boat to order something similar?

Comment

Jared is the man, All I did was sit behind a desk and send emails ha. Fyi Core, I just did a transom protector 3 piece kit for the back of the 02-06. I have some steps in the work but I don't know if they will be as long as the ones you have. Jared killed it and the look of that boat is now amazing. Completely transformed it from something that looked 90s to something that looks completely current.
                    [EMAIL="Zach@n3boatworks.com"]Zach@n3boatworks.com[/EMAIL]

Comment

Originally posted by Zach@n3 View Post
                      Fyi Core, I just did a transom protector 3 piece kit for the back of the 02-06. I have some steps in the work but I don't know if they will be as long as the ones you have.
                      Do you have any pics? Why was it 3 pieces? It's only 6' x 4" on my transom. I wanted to cover most all the gunnels knowing at some point I would walk on them and I do. I can't complain... It has held up for 10 years with the only noticeable change is about 1/16" shrinkage on all sides from the adhesive backing. Which makes me ask, has anyone noticed Seadek shrinking any over the years? I haven't heard of it, but I seems to be the only one mentioning it with Gatorgrip too.
                      Jason
                      All black 2003 SANTE
                      -- Southern Fried --

Comment

I thought the 3 piece would break it up a bit. I contoured the edges to the taper of the transom so it should look nice. Just waiting on seadek. Expect 5-6 weeks before we see a finished product.

Comment

Originally posted by Brichter14 View Post
                          I am really upset that you did this. Because you did such an awesome job and your boat looks and functions sooo much better, I now want to do this mod.

Now that seadek has the dimensions and such, is it possible for the people who have the same boat to order something similar?

Maybe Zack at N3 still has it?
                          1997 Super Sport

Comment

We as Nautique dealers can order anything. If you call Seadek Directly you will be forwarded along to us. They don't advertise anything Nautique on their open public website. If it's the same boat you know how to get ahold of me . Also, if anyone is curious if it will fit the boat for 15 bucks+ shipping you can get dry fits at your door to verify. Cheap check point for a big investment. I want to thank Jared for being patient with me and Seadek as the end result was totally worth the price of admission.

Comment

impressive work, congrats. i know getting all that carpet up had to be brutal ...
                              2003 SANTE - "OG 210"

Comment

Working...
                              X