Full Seadek Floor Install on 1999 SAN

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

"Maybe Zack at N3 still has it?"

I am sure that Zach still has it. A potential problem, I believe, is that the pattern from a 1999 will not exactly match a 1997. If I recall correctly, the 1997 has a squared-off ski locker whereas the 1999 is rounded. That one difference requires changes to at least three Seadek pieces across the middle of the floor. Plus, the 1997 has a playpen bow instead of a walkway. And like I said in the original post, a lot of the pieces were not uniform, appeared to have been cut by hand, and required modification for proper fit, which would lead me to believe that none of the floors will be exactly uniform.

That being said, it seems that it would be close enough that it would pretty easy to order the mylar sheets with the 1999 pattern on them and modify them to fit the exact specs of a particular 1997 given that they are the same basic shape. But I would definitely check with Zach on that before charging ahead.
    2017 G23
    2012 210 TE
    1999 SAN
    1995 Sport
    1991 Sport

Comment

Originally posted by obd666 View Post
      impressive work, congrats. i know getting all that carpet up had to be brutal ...
      Compared to the glue...the carpet was a piece of cake.
      2017 G23
      2012 210 TE
      1999 SAN
      1995 Sport
      1991 Sport

Comment

First off, great job! Now I feel the need to do this to my 99 SAN. Second, can you provide a link to the "urethane coating" you used? It seems that is a much better alternative to gel coat.

Comment

Originally posted by Connor View Post
          First off, great job! Now I feel the need to do this to my 99 SAN. Second, can you provide a link to the "urethane coating" you used? It seems that is a much better alternative to gel coat.
          Thank you.

The urethane coating is a product called Monstaliner. Information can be found at monstaliner.com. There are also several forums out there that provide a lot of information about it.

I performed a lot of research on a lot of products and ultimately elected to use Monstaliner because of its durability and the fact that I could use it on all of the different surfaces that I wanted to coat so long as I prepped them correctly (prep to apply it to plastic, fiberglass, metal, etc. differs dramatically). It also has a proven track record in pretty extreme environments, including salt and fresh-water boat floors, truck beds, jeep tubs, vehicle exteriors, roll bars, brush guards, etc. Once dry, it has a nice orange-peel finish and is resistant to most chemicals. It also comes in a lot of colors. I had to get special tint made to match Nautique's "natural" color, but there are a lot of traditional colors available directly from Monstaliner.

I know I sound a bit like a spokesperson for the product. I'm not. It is just a good product that fulfilled all of my needs and expectations. And it is far more durable and far less expensive than gel coat.
          2017 G23
          2012 210 TE
          1999 SAN
          1995 Sport
          1991 Sport

Comment

Thanks for the reply scarbs, we have a baby on the way so it will be a while before I would tackle a project like this but you give us all inspiration. That boat is exquisite!!

Comment

That looks awesome. I wonder if anyone with an 02+ has done it. Does the thickness of the Seadek cause issues with the observers seat base? I'm asking because I think I'd put the Seadek under the seat bases and all the way back under the ballast tanks.

Comment

Wow. I imagined sea deck on an older boat looking goofy. That looks great. Nice work.
                2018 SAN 230
                1981 Ski Nautique
                Sold - 2011 Sport 200V
                Sold - 2000 SAN

Comment

Without prying too much...approximate budget? (See the huge sweat equity $$)
                  2004 206 Air Nautique Limited - Black with Vapor Blue (family style)
                  1997 Masters Edition Nautique - Zephyr Green - gone (amazing ski wake)
                  1982 Mastercraft Powerslot - gone (a primitive but wonderful beast)
                  Bellevue WA

Comment

Very nice!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
                    2013 SANTE 210
                    2011 Sport 200 V
                    1994 Bimini Skier Pro 190
                    1986 Master Craft Pro Star 190

Comment

Pulling and cleaning the carpet. The words completely distort the true agony of ripping out factory carpet. Time and energy are consumed at a crazy rate. Plus things are pinched pulled, trying to cut lines for carpet that's to remain, yikes!
                      You made it look easy and professional, well done. Thanks for posting.
                      Sure appreciate the boat (floor) when you step into it...I bet EVERY TIME going forward.
                      Certainly adds value to the vintage SAN
                      [COLOR=#333333]2006 210 TE[/COLOR]
                      [COLOR=#333333]www.whitelake.com[/COLOR]
                      [COLOR=#333333]1994 Prostar 205 (restored)[/COLOR]
                      [COLOR=#333333]1986 Dixie Skier OB[/COLOR]

Comment

Hey Shag, stay tuned on footer Seadek. Mark saw how Jared's boat turned out and is all pumped up again to get that in the floor of his 91.
                        [EMAIL="Zach@n3boatworks.com"]Zach@n3boatworks.com[/EMAIL]

Comment

Wow. Great job. I was waiting for someone to do this. I need to do this to my '98. I am in the same boat as Brichter with the squared ski locker and playpen bow. I am also curious about general cost and how many hours are involved. This might be my next winter project. This is inspirational. Thanks scarbs!

Comment

Wow! Thanks guys for all of the compliments. I am pleased with the results.

As for cost, the total was right around $2000. The cost of just the Seadek comes in around $1200. The rest was the urethane, epoxy primer, tools, supplies, etc.

But the amount of Seadek I chose to do used up three full sheets, and it was a little more than just a floor. If I did not go all the way up under the observer seat and helm and eliminated the bow-filler step and stern step, I might have been able to keep it to two sheets and reduce the cost. But I wanted to go all the way. In fact, I may add some additional Seadek in the future. Plus, I coated a lot more than just the floor with the urethane. I coated the top and bottoms of the three floor panels and the bow-filler step. I also coated the gunwale shelves/cupholders, the seat bases, underside of the bow seating, and everywhere except the hull walls underneath the observer seat and helm. The urethane is $125 per gallon and I used every bit of three gallons (two coats everywhere). It would not be difficult to cut several hundred dollars from the overall cost if I cut some of these corners. But I wanted to do it this way despite the cost.
                            2017 G23
                            2012 210 TE
                            1999 SAN
                            1995 Sport
                            1991 Sport

Comment

What did you use to get the glue off the floor? A grinder wheel?

Comment

Originally posted by Brichter14 View Post
                                What did you use to get the glue off the floor? A grinder wheel?
                                I did carpet in a 99 Air Nautique a couple of years ago. All you need to get the glue off is Acetone. I bought two gallons from Lowes. It's not hard to work with, it just takes a lot of elbow grease.

-Charles

Comment

Working...
                                X