Perko Battery Switch

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Perko Battery Switch

Just bought a Perko Battery switch. In process of upgrading sound system and want the security of extra juice. Was thinking of putting a battery on both the port and starboard side of the rear storage units on my 2001 SAN V-drive. But where would you put the switch? In the engine compartment? Run it under the rear bench so all you have to do is remove a cushion and voila? Put it next to a battery on either side in the storage compartment?

I think I would leave the switch in the position such that the alternator will charge both concurrently at all times, and with the engine off that the consumption would draw off of both concurrently at all times, but would like to seek advise from those who have some experience.

Where did you place your switch, and what switch setting do you normally make use of (and why more specifically).

Cheers!

There are definitely a few ways to skin this cat.

1. Install a dual bank battery tender/charger to the batteries. Hook the new battery up to only the stereo. After each use, plug the tender in and to charge the batteries. The tender also maintains the batteries during extended storage.

2. Perko switch as you described. Keep in mind that ideally, perko's are used with matched batteries. If in the all position, they become one bank and a week one will drain the strong one. Lots of user error possible.

3. What I personally have, a battery isolator. This unit connects one lead to the alternator, and the other two leads to their respective battery. When the alternator is running, it charges both batteries separately. When not running, the batteries are completely separate. You can run the stereo off the new battery, and never drain the start battery.http://www.ase-supply.com/category_s/153.htm

Comment

Working...
    X