No announcement yet.

FAE vs Nautique Surf Pipe

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Anyone who has the factory surf pipe on a early model 210 notice any change in the wake, surf and wakeboard wakes in particular. Was there any adverse affects that you are unhappy with? I have a 2011 210 and Nautique is very reluctant in giving any info regrading the install.

Thank you

Comment

I worked with Larry and team @ FAE to order an exhaust without their usual erector set mounting system. I fabricated my own and welded to their provided pipe. After fabricating my 3/8" stainless "strut loop" and flange mounts which screw in to the bottom of the teak platform, I TIG welded it to the FAE pipe. They shaved off $40 for leaving off their mounting hardware.

I proposed to them a similar mounting system with threaded rod, so rod ends and a yoked flange could be used to offer adjustability vs. the erector set mounting system.

I spent 3 or 4 hours fabricating. Hardest part was getting the curve to match the diameter of the pipe. I used a very large impact socket (2 1/4" Diameter) as a forming die and my bench vice and a larger piece of tubing to slip over the rod to aid in bending (cheater bar).
      Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by jasonwyrick View Post
        hole pattern pic, the pattern is similar but is off just enough that you'll have to drill some new holes

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0154.JPG
Views:	707
Size:	45.6 KB
ID:	510809

surf pipe extends into that rubber tube several inches so you'll need to adjust that.

Name:	IMG_0159.JPG
Views:	699
Size:	55.1 KB
ID:	510810

Do you need to cut the surf pipe to fit ?

Comment

Originally posted by Montrealnautique View Post

Do you need to cut the surf pipe to fit ?
          No. You cut the rubber pipe inside the boat to fit.

-Charles

Comment

Originally posted by charlesml3 View Post

No. You cut the rubber pipe inside the boat to fit.

-Charles
            Ok but they have only 1 inch free space between my original insert and muffler. My surf pipe is 3 inch longer ?? Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2534.JPG
Views:	283
Size:	42.3 KB
ID:	519678

Comment

Originally posted by Montrealnautique View Post

Ok but they have only 1 inch free space between my original insert and muffler. My surf pipe is 3 inch longer ?? Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2534.JPG
Views:	283
Size:	42.3 KB
ID:	519678
              OK, yea I see what your chasing here. This is the problem with adapting something like this to an older boat. You're going to have to improvise here. You should look closely at how the hard pipe coming out of the engine needs to line up and make cuts as necessary.

Comment

Name:	IMG_2172.JPG
Views:	277
Size:	42.9 KB
ID:	521268 Finally done , i cut the pipe a the same lenght of the original insert.

Comment

Does anyone know what the FAE or the surf pipe are made of? 304 or 316 stainless would be the obvious thoughts.

Surf pipe looks pretty shiny, but that is not necessarily proof that it is 316.
                  2012 210TE + ZR6 + NSS + Clarion Sponsorship = Good times
                  Previous boats ->2001 SAN. 2003, 04, 05, 06 210TE, 07 220TE, 08, 09, 10, 11 210TE

Comment

Originally posted by jbwake View Post
                    Does anyone know what the FAE or the surf pipe are made of? 304 or 316 stainless would be the obvious thoughts.

Surf pipe looks pretty shiny, but that is not necessarily proof that it is 316.
                    FAE is standard with 304, but he made mine out of 316 for an up charge of $50ish.

Comment

Guys, are there any noticeable difference in surf/wake wave, engine noise level on 2014+ 210?
                      I have a 2014 with PCM 343 with no pipe and my neighbor has 2017 with pipe (dunno what motor he has, I suppose ZR4). I'm way louder than him. Is it the presence of pipe or the motor itself?

Comment

Originally posted by skullx View Post
                        Guys, are there any noticeable difference in surf/wake wave, engine noise level on 2014+ 210?
                        I have a 2014 with PCM 343 with no pipe and my neighbor has 2017 with pipe (dunno what motor he has, I suppose ZR4). I'm way louder than him. Is it the presence of pipe or the motor itself?
                        Yes A lot of it has to do with the surf pipe. They make a huge difference. I have first hand experience. My boat didn't have one at time of purchase and I added one afterwards and I can say it made a big difference in how quite it was the inside of the boat. Some others have said its the best stereo upgrade you can do.... And now I see why. It's makes for a much comfortable ride listening to music and talking with your crew. Plus the absolute best thing about them is getting the fumes down into the water and come up behind the rider. It's just nice and very noticeable. My .02
                        2009 Super Air Nautique 210 TE
                        2006 Super Air Nautique 210 TE
                        1989 Sport Nautique

Comment

^^ A big YES to all of that.

Wait til you have one for a while and then get behind a boat that doesn't. That's when you really experience the difference.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
                          X