Oil Extraction Pump Tubing Broke off in Dipstick Tube! Now what?o

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by core-rider View Post
    My guess is you had the engine warmed up before trying to change the oil correct? I almost had your same issue a few years ago when I ran the boat on the river and then changed the oil at the marina... The plastic tube began to melt in the dipstick tube. I got lucky and it came out, but it was questionable for a minute. I've began using the drain tube and connecting the suction pump to it from now on.

Point is... It may not be stuck on anything inside the engine but melted and stuck inside the dipstick tube. Hopefully they can get you taken care of with minimal effort and back on the water.
    I don't think it melted as the engine was not very hot. Probably warm at the most. I hope once the dipstick tube is removed the plastic tubing will come out without much trouble. Fingers crossed on both hands.
    2007 Malibu Wakesetter 23 LSV, 1995 Cobalt 200

Comment

Originally posted by scottb7 View Post
      This is what you need...notice i said "need" not "want"...This works and not fancy...Take off plug from remote drain hose, screw into bushing...Bushing attaches to adapter, and adapter attaches to drain pump...Works perfectly.

Get over your fancy pants stuff...warm up oil somewhat and works like a charm.

Never mind. I see that it says that it comes with the outlet hose on the package.

Click image for larger version Name:	oil change pump.jpg Views:	1 Size:	92.3 KB ID:	525959Click image for larger version Name:	oil change fittings.jpg Views:	1 Size:	144.1 KB ID:	525960
      Scott,

Thanks for the reply with pics. Does that pump come with tubing to drain the oil into a container?

Comment

Yes, it does come with tubing to drain into a container.

Comment

I have used the Motive Power Extractor on all 3 of my Nautique. It works like a charm. Just as Charles states , I took the dip stick tubing off the Motive Power Extractor and attached a brass fitting which thread right into my oil drain hose. You can purchase all these brass fittings at Lowes or Home Depot stores in the plumbing section. These
          extractors are about $75.00 from Amazon.

Click image for larger version

Name:	1708-1_48e4a868-c15d-4b82-b8d2-a6b90327c9d4_1024x1024.jpg
Views:	1158
Size:	136.5 KB
ID:	525983

Originally posted by charlesml3 View Post

I don't even use an adapter. I just threat the extractor tube into oil drain hose. I get it far enough in where I figure it's at the lowest point and draw the oil out from there.

-Charles

Comment

Sent from my iPhone using PLT Nautique

Comment

Charles,

I have the exact same Topsider. That small tube is what broke off in the oil pan and dipstick tube. I never thought of inserting the Topsider tube into the drain hose until you and others mentioned it. I always just followed the instructions that came with the Topsider and inserted the tube into the dipstick tube. I never had a problem until now.

I wasn't even sure inserting the Topsider tube into the drain hose would work since it doesn't create a tight seal in the drain hose. On my previous boat (2011 210) the oil wouldn't even drain out of the drain hose when I passed it through the plug hole in the hull so I figured that it would need a tight seal for the Topsider to work through the drain hose.

Comment

When you are pumping out the oil, do you need to remove the oil cap off the top of the engine to let air in? On my 2007 236, my hose is long enough to run out the drain plug. Gravity does the rest. Best of luck.

Comment

Originally posted by Nautique Fan View Post
                  When you are pumping out the oil, do you need to remove the oil cap off the top of the engine to let air in?
                  Not really. It might go a little quicker if you do, but it really isn't necessary.

Comment

Here is how I do mine,female hose barb screws on to boats drain hose,rubber hose connects it to plastic vacuum hose. When changing oil in trans or vdrive don't put plastic hose in them either for the same reason,attach a piece of steel brake line or copper line to the plastic line first, and drop that in.
                    Click image for larger version  Name:	100_1854_zpsabb6xhdv.jpg Views:	1 Size:	53.4 KB ID:	526201

Comment

Originally posted by Evening Shade View Post

Do you know where I can get the adapter to fit on the drain hose?
                      I use the suckup and it has a clear pvc hose and I slid in a barb to npt connector. Got an npt plug to plug it when not in use. ....here is a link to a thread I made long ago with several good posts/comments on it.

https://www.planetnautique.com/vb5/f...change-fitting

Comment

I did the exact same thing last year with my boat and extractor. I took the dipstick tube off and spun the tubing around until it finally broke free totally intact. Make sure they don't break it off inside the engine or that will be a big problem. Mine seem to get hooked up on the sharp machined edges inside the pan (maybe a baffle). Goodluck! I was sweating bullets until I got mine out after a couple of hours of swearing......

Comment

The mechanic at my friends boat store got the tube out! I'm so relieved!

Comment

Originally posted by gary s
                            Here is how I do mine,female hose barb screws on to boats drain hose,rubber hose connects it to plastic vacuum hose. When changing oil in trans or vdrive don't put plastic hose in them either for the same reason,attach a piece of steel brake line or copper line to the plastic line first, and drop that in.
                            Click image for larger version  Name:	100_1854_zpsabb6xhdv.jpg Views:	1 Size:	53.4 KB ID:	526201
                            Same here, I have a valve instead of just female end, that way don't have to use the feeble pincher either.

Comment

Will one of you do a youtube video from start to finish? haha - I was looking on youtube for a while and didn't find a good one yet. Thanks!

Comment

Originally posted by Chuck View Post
                                Will one of you do a youtube video from start to finish? haha - I was looking on youtube for a while and didn't find a good one yet. Thanks!
                                You don't need a YouTube video. Look back at my photos above. Take the oil drain tube that comes on the boat and remove the cap. Shove the changer tube down it as far as it will go. Then lay the whole thing down as low as you can. Draw the oil out. Change the filter, change the fuel filter. Keep drawing oil out until your changer is sucking air. Replace the cap and add oil.

Comment

Working...
                                X