Boat Waxing Help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Boat Waxing Help

I've always just waxed my boat by hand each year and followed up with spray wax. I'd like to start using a buffer to speed up the process and be more effective. Do you all use a buffer to wax or still just do by hand? What product(s) do you use? I'd probably get a dewalt buffer if I go that route. Thanks!

Originally posted by jslipher View Post
    I've always just waxed my boat by hand each year and followed up with spray wax. I'd like to start using a buffer to speed up the process and be more effective. Do you all use a buffer to wax or still just do by hand? What product(s) do you use? I'd probably get a dewalt buffer if I go that route. Thanks!

Same situation here I just used. DA polisher for the first time with the results below. IT IS WELL WORTH IT if you don’t mind doing the work.

1. Hand wash with power washer
    2. Clay bar: medium cut black clay from Autogeek.net
    3. AIO Compound applies with DA polisher and wool pad
    4. Wax with DA polisher and orange foam pad
    5. Next for me is SiO2 spray

Autogeek.net
    Griots Garage 6” DA polisher HD
    Lake country 6” foam pads (3)
    7.5” wool pads
    Black Medium cut clay
    Any mist and wipe spray for the clay

Amazon
    Meguires m6732 Marine /RV One step
    Meguires m6332 Flagship Premium Maine was
    Blackfire SiO2 Spray

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

I use a Big buffer funny thing this is what i did today. Cutting compound and then polishing compound I've not got to the wax stage yet. Been a couple of years sense I did this. I've got a 20 year old Boat that got a Ton of Hours and never kept in a garage except for winter storage. Big Buffer is really a very hard work out.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

Comment

Looks great, what are you using to suspend it?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

2 - 3,000 pound come along Hanging from a chain that's around a lvl wood beam I installed.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

Comment

Wow, wish I could suspend my boat like that, my garage ceiling is not strong enough to do what you did and I would love to polish the entire bottom of hull since my boat is black and the bunk carpet has scratched it up even tho I am careful to never power load onto trailer. Trying to figure out how I can get the bottom done all polished up since I bought new bunk boards and composite GatorBak bunk covers so the scratches stop in future.

Maybe my dealer will let me use his lift sometime for a day so I can get the bottom work done, can always hope!

To O.P. I use a Makita DA for compound & polish work. Very time consuming but results are incredible if you put in the time and do it right. I have been using Boat Candy products, wool pad for compound and semi-synthetic pad for polishing. On waxing, I do it by hand still even tho I have a pad for that....was thinking about using it this year actually to see how it turns out. I used to use a paste wax (Collonite), but switched last year to Menzerna Power Lock +. It lasts longer, seems to protect better/longer against water spots and lasts quite a bit longer compared to the paste wax. Switched cause I have had excellent results using it on my vehicles.

Comment

Originally posted by Infinity View Post
              Wow, wish I could suspend my boat like that, my garage ceiling is not strong enough to do what you did and I would love to polish the entire bottom of hull since my boat is black and the bunk carpet has scratched it up even tho I am careful to never power load onto trailer. Trying to figure out how I can get the bottom done all polished up since I bought new bunk boards and composite GatorBak bunk covers so the scratches stop in future.

Maybe my dealer will let me use his lift sometime for a day so I can get the bottom work done, can always hope!

To O.P. I use a Makita DA for compound & polish work. Very time consuming but results are incredible if you put in the time and do it right. I have been using Boat Candy products, wool pad for compound and semi-synthetic pad for polishing. On waxing, I do it by hand still even tho I have a pad for that....was thinking about using it this year actually to see how it turns out. I used to use a paste wax (Collonite), but switched last year to Menzerna Power Lock +. It lasts longer, seems to protect better/longer against water spots and lasts quite a bit longer compared to the paste wax. Switched cause I have had excellent results using it on my vehicles.
              Based on Infinity's review , I purchased a 32 oz bottle of Menzerna (Jespar) Power Lock + polymer wax and I'm very pleased with the results. Attached is the link to Amazon.

https://www.amazon.com/Jescar-Power-...vrand=52336105

Click image for larger version

Name:	41golt+uNSL.jpg
Views:	695
Size:	23.0 KB
ID:	582339

Comment

Do you guys wax after you seal ?

Sent from my iPhone using PLT Nautique

Comment

Originally posted by indo View Post
                  Do you guys wax after you seal ?

Sent from my iPhone using PLT Nautique
                  Yes some do and they have used this Jaspar (pictured above) after ceramic coating. I did not ceramic coat my boat but just took my boat to the dealer for some warranty work and to wax my boat with Jaspar. Could not be happier with the results. I have used it the last 3 seasons now.

Comment

Originally posted by Schlanseay View Post
                    Same situation here I just used. DA polisher for the first time with the results below. IT IS WELL WORTH IT if you don’t mind doing the work.

1. Hand wash with power washer
                    2. Clay bar: medium cut black clay from Autogeek.net
                    3. AIO Compound applies with DA polisher and wool pad
                    4. Wax with DA polisher and orange foam pad
                    5. Next for me is SiO2 spray

Autogeek.net
                    Griots Garage 6” DA polisher HD
                    Lake country 6” foam pads (3)
                    7.5” wool pads
                    Black Medium cut clay
                    Any mist and wipe spray for the clay

Amazon
                    Meguires m6732 Marine /RV One step
                    Meguires m6332 Flagship Premium Maine was
                    Blackfire SiO2 Spray

i know this is an old post but sheesh...that second pic i was thinking "why'd he post a pic of his house?" that's how reflective you got the boat, impressive.

Comment

This may be a dumb question, but did you apply the wax and buff it off with the polisher?

Comment

Working...
                      X