Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Tear-Aid Vinyl Seat Repair - Positive or Negitive ????

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tear-Aid Vinyl Seat Repair - Positive or Negitive ????

Since I received no responses under my prior post concerning this issue after 5 days, I have posted again asking if any members have used Tear Aid with success or whether this product is garbage.

My quote from prior post. "What is the best vinyl sealant and/or patch for a small seat tear? The boat is still under warranty but I'm almost certain the dealer would not cover a seat skin replacement".

Any help most appreciated.

Click image for larger version  Name:	tear aid.jpg Views:	0 Size:	74.9 KB ID:	614356

Click image for larger version  Name:	image_52229.jpg Views:	0 Size:	44.7 KB ID:	614357

I have never used that, but would check out the type where you can mix colors to match, spread it over the tear and let it dry. If I remember, they even had a couple of different papers with it to match the texture. Sorry - it was a long time ago... we noticed some fireworks damage to a seat in my friend's father's boat on the 5th of July. His dad was VERY particular and that 15yr old Crestliner Musky looked like brand new. We "spent some time" on the other side of the lake after finding a patch kit in town. His dad never knew...

Actually, 3M makes something that looks like the kit we used: https://www.3m.com/3M/en_US/company-...2638924&rt=rud
    Last edited by SatherG230; 06-25-2020, 03:30 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by SatherG230 View Post
      I have never used that, but would check out the type where you can mix colors to match, spread it over the tear and let it dry. If I remember, they even had a couple of different papers with it to match the texture. Sorry - it was a long time ago... we noticed some fireworks damage to a seat in my friend's father's boat on the 5th of July. His dad was VERY particular and that 15yr old Crestliner Musky looked like brand new. We "spent some time" on the other side of the lake after finding a patch kit in town. His dad never knew...

Actually, 3M makes something that looks like the kit we used: https://www.3m.com/3M/en_US/company-...2638924&rt=rud
      I thought about the color match kits that you described. I have changed my mind and gone with your 3M recommendation. $10.00 from Amazon. If it looks terrible, I will just replace the skin this fall. I'm guessing a skin replacement and labor will run between $500-$750; I'm prepared to bend over.

Comment

The other option would be to take it to a vinyl shop that would do the repair, but if desperate kids could make it look like it never happened, I'm sure you can, too. I do remember being impressed by the result.

Comment

Originally posted by SatherG230 View Post
          The other option would be to take it to a vinyl shop that would do the repair, but if desperate kids could make it look like it never happened, I'm sure you can, too. I do remember being impressed by the result.
          I think my kids did it but won't fess up. I'm anal about my boat and let them use it one weekend and this happens. They are all good boat drivers , but are clueless on the little stuff. Don't know how I can change that mindset with the 20 somethings age groupers and their marshmallow brains

Comment

I've used it. I look at it more like strain relief than anything else. Over time it will discolor (1+ seasons) and the edges can lift and collect dirt. Then you apply a new patch. My opinion - not bad but not great. I'd probably see if a local detail shop that does vinyl fixes might tackle the job. If the location doesn't have odd textures, I think they will be able to do an OK job. Best case - look for a shop that does dealer work; they will have sufficient volume to be proficient at the repair.
            2004 206 Air Nautique Limited - Black with Vapor Blue (family style)
            1997 Masters Edition Nautique - Zephyr Green - gone (amazing ski wake)
            1982 Mastercraft Powerslot - gone (a primitive but wonderful beast)
            Bellevue WA

Comment

I used these guys twice. One time was outstanding the other, meh.....

https://www.fibrenew.com/markets-we-...r-restoration/

You may also have a local company or detail shop that does this well.
              Last edited by bturner; 06-27-2020, 06:49 AM.

Comment

I used some on my cover and the stuff was incredible. My tear was at a high wear area on my over the tower cover and the tear aid lasted for 6 years then I sold the boat. Color match may be your issue.

Comment

Permatex Vinyl and Leather Repair Kit works great. Custom match your color from the kit, apply it to the tear, and use the included heating element to make a truly invisible repair. If your color is not a perfect match, wipe it off before heating it and try again. Once the heating element is used it is permanent.

Comment

I wanted to report back with my results. Bottomline I was able to score a new seat skin from Nautique free of charge . In regards to the tear , the 3M product worked fairly well . Although I didn’t get the color match exact , it is close and the tear is sealed . I will replace the seat skin after the season is over . I would recommend this 3M product

Click image for larger version  Name:	30BA98D5-24EF-4C7F-BCB7-C1516ECBC58A.jpeg Views:	0 Size:	63.7 KB ID:	615079

Click image for larger version

Name:	DCFEB57B-A20F-4F75-A3DA-6DDA9BBD8847.jpeg
Views:	581
Size:	27.4 KB
ID:	615081 ​​​​​​​

Comment

Working...
                    X