No announcement yet.

made a rear seat frame for a 93 ski nautique

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Nice job, can't wait to see the finished product!
    WakeMAKERS.com
    Contact us for exclusive Planet Nautique Member discounts!

Comment

Originally posted by jasonwm
      thank you i cant wait to

Comment

Originally posted by bobchris
        CPES will not soak in to pressure treated wood unless you let it weather for a couple years. big mistake using it in the first place, can't fibergalss to it, can't seal it with CPES, paid twice as much for it not a very good choice of materials IMHO.

Standard plywood and CPES from the rot doctor is the only way to go when dealing with decking or seating structures..... now there is better stuff to use but it comes at a premium too so you have to plan on keeping the boat for very long times as in forever.
        its not a big mistake and u can fiberglass to it might not hold as good but its just for covering purpose i used it before and just fine and its not much more money and u dont have to use the cpes stuff cause it dont rot anyway so u save time and money there its going to be just fine it might have not been the best coice of materials but hey its still going to look just as good and last just as long if not longer without a worry of rotting away cause pressure treated will not rot

Comment

Not a big mistake, it took me 6 months of looking before I figured out not to use pressure treated lumber when replacing a floor in my old boat. Good thing I spent a year figuring out what to do before I started doing it. The pressure treated lumber should last plenty long if you be sure that it doesn't sit around wet all the time, so be sure and flip your seat bases up when you put the boat up, and put some damp rid or something in there in the winter.

If you haven't already tried to put some fiberglass on it, you might want to hold off on that. I heard many debates about whether or not that will cause pressure treated lumber to rot faster because it never dries out after the treatment. I don't have 10 years to test this theory so I figured it was best to go the exterior lumber and epoxy route. Laminating epoxy and xylene make homemade CPES, and you still have time to try it out on the seat bottom, which will be the most likely thing to rot first.

Comment

I say don't sweat it. By the time that seat would rot, you'll have gotten your time and money out it. You built the first, so you can build another. Slap some upholstery on there and go enjoy your boat. BKH
            2001 Super Air

Comment

Originally posted by bkhallpass
              I say don't sweat it. By the time that seat would rot, you'll have gotten your time and money out it. You built the first, so you can build another. Slap some upholstery on there and go enjoy your boat. BKH
              yeah man i aint it going to the time it rots ill probally to old to ski or dead i heard this if noahs arc was made out of pressure treated it still be on the crusin the seas today

Comment

I'll also vote for the don't bother epoxying it and just run it. If it can't breathe and dry out it will rot. Half of it will be wrapped in vinyl and now you know resin coated exterior ply would have been the better choice, but this will work for XX years anyway.

On our old pontoon boat, the floor (pressure treated ply) lasted longer after we stopped covering the boat.

Comment

its done

Originally posted by jasonwm View Post
                  its so nice to have a rear seat finally
                  Attached Files
                  Last edited by 93nautique0710; 05-10-2010, 06:42 PM.

Comment

does anyone have the measurements for a back seat like this? Just bought a 1990 Ski Nautique and the back seat is missing. I was going to try and make one but trying to find the measurements.

Comment

Working...
                    X