Roller wheels for the Shaft and prop cage on your trailer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Roller wheels for the Shaft and prop cage on your trailer

Has anyone installed the roller wheels after they bought their trailer? Where can you get the wheels after market to install? Do they come as a kit or is this a effort that requires welding? I want to install them on a Ramlin trailer. Any advice is welcome.

I have done it twice. The first time, I added the micro marine rollers from paktron to my MC trailer. The rollers are stainless with grease fittings. I mounted them so that they were just below the prop guard. Unfortunately, the stainless rollers chewed up my cobblestone driveway pretty well. So if that's a concern for you, I would recommend going with some polly skid wheels.

On my Dorsey trailer under my SN, I ordered a drag wheel kit from Dorsey. The wheels are a bit larger and green, but they don't score up the driveway.

In both instances, I got someone to weld them for me. Not an expensive or difficult job for someone who knows what he's doing. I've also seen people who bolted them on with u-bolts with success.

http://www.pakindustries.com/micro_marine.html
    1998 Ski Nautique (Red/Silver Cloud), GT-40, Perfect Pass Stargazer 8.0z (Zbox), Acme #422, Tunable Rudder.

Comment

Originally posted by east tx skier View Post
      I have done it twice. The first time, I added the micro marine rollers from paktron to my MC trailer. The rollers are stainless with grease fittings. I mounted them so that they were just below the prop guard. Unfortunately, the stainless rollers chewed up my cobblestone driveway pretty well. So if that's a concern for you, I would recommend going with some polly skid wheels.

On my Dorsey trailer under my SN, I ordered a drag wheel kit from Dorsey. The wheels are a bit larger and green, but they don't score up the driveway.

In both instances, I got someone to weld them for me. Not an expensive or difficult job for someone who knows what he's doing. I've also seen people who bolted them on with u-bolts with success.

http://www.pakindustries.com/micro_marine.html
      Thanks, I will look into the Dorsey drag wheel kit!!!

Comment

I have always owned inboard outboards, and this is my first V-drive boat. Is dinging up the prop cage a big problem as long as you dont go 4x4ing over curbs or rocky terrain? (not sure why you would do that in the first place)
        Eric, Phoenix AZ

G23 550 hp (finally here)
        2002 Super Air
        1994 Sun Tracker Party Barge 115 hp

Comment

You'll probably have to look elsewhere for the "Dorsey" kit since Dorsey is, unfortunately, no longer in business.

My main problem with having my prop guard dinged up, apart from it not looking nice cosmetically, is that when the paint gets knocked off, the rust will soon follow. My sloped driveway is where my drag wheels get the most use. The prop guard on the driveway is a no win for either surface.

This will give you an idea of how my wheels (in either case) have been installed). This is just with the primer on the prop guard (beefed up prop guard). We used angle brackets to mount the wheels to the outside of the guard so they didn't hang down too far and cause contact where it wouldn't have occurred otherwise. The concept is the same with larger poly wheels. But the shape and size of the angle brackets varies based on the wheels and prop guard shape.

Last edited by east tx skier; 02-22-2010, 05:11 PM.
          1998 Ski Nautique (Red/Silver Cloud), GT-40, Perfect Pass Stargazer 8.0z (Zbox), Acme #422, Tunable Rudder.

Comment

You'll probably have to look elsewhere for the "Dorsey" kit since Dorsey is, unfortunately, no longer in business.
            This isn't the same Dorsey?
            http://www.trailersbydorsey.com/

Comment

Try the bolt-on type, wheels are replaceable.

http://www.dhmtrailers.com

price is around $150 - 1 hr to install
              Attached Files

Comment

+1 on the DHM rollers...

Click image for larger version

Name:	Prop Rollers -01..jpg
Views:	1
Size:	91.0 KB
ID:	359327

Comment

+2 on DHM, I have a DHM trailer and bought the wheels kit from them a couple of years ago, I think I had them paint them the same color from the factory. Bolted on with high grade stainless bolts, didn't take over an hour to do and work very well. Sorry the one is a little blurry.

2004 196 LE Black/Grey
                  330HP Excalibur Water Churner
                  2002 Grey F150 Harley
                  475+HP Supercharged Tire Burner

Comment

I really appreciate everyone's support and Planetnautique as everyone on here is really great at sharing advice. This will save the trailer and my driveway much pain as it is an angled driveway. Again thanks!!!

Comment

Originally posted by steve-o View Post
                      This isn't the same Dorsey?
                      http://www.trailersbydorsey.com/
                      That is Dorsey's website. It might be helpful on this topic since their catalog probably has pictures of the green poly rollers in it.

The information I have is that Mr. Dorsey is having health problems and they have closed down. No word on if it will reopen. The phone, as of this morning, is being picked up by a fax machine.

It's a real shame. I have never owned a better trailer.

Comment

Originally posted by newwakesurfer View Post
                        Try the bolt-on type, wheels are replaceable.

http://www.dhmtrailers.com

price is around $150 - 1 hr to install
                        My 'thrifty' side is coming out. Why would you buy the kit, when you can purchase them separate for half the price? It's $40.90 for mount and $32.90 for the wheels. The only thing the kit includes is bolts.
                        Previous:
                        2011 Super Air Nautique 210
                        1994 Sport Nautique

Comment

I think that the seperate pricing is per piece even though the picture shows a pair and the kit is all inclusive. One would need to contact them to verify this.

Comment

That is Dorsey's website. It might be helpful on this topic since their catalog probably has pictures of the green poly rollers in it.

The information I have is that Mr. Dorsey is having health problems and they have closed down. No word on if it will reopen. The phone, as of this morning, is being picked up by a fax machine.

It's a real shame. I have never owned a better trailer.
                            Man that is a shame. I have used them almost exclusively for trailer parts ordering when I can't find them local. They were the only company I found that didn't double the price for shipping. I've bought two disc brake conversion kits from them.

Comment

Thanks for all the help. As marking up my driveway is not a real issue I am looking into the first option shared. Local shop believes they can easily add these for cheap!! Thanks for the ideas!

Comment

Working...
                              X