Made Some Trailer Hitch Mud Flaps

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Made Some Trailer Hitch Mud Flaps

The lake I use most of the time has about 1 mile of gravel road leading to the all gravel launch. I got tired of hearing rocks getting kicked up, so I figured I would fix it once and for all.

What I used:
    7' of 2"x2"x1/16" angle iron
    2 - 36"x24"x1/8" mud flaps from Napa
    12 - 1/4" large washers
    12 - 1/4" luck nuts
    12 - 1/4"x1" bolts
    2" axle bolt.

Looking at the pictures attached it is pretty self explanatory.
    First I drilled the holes in the middle of the angle iron for the axle bolt to hold it onto the hitch (ball mount). Then I cut the mud flaps to fit my hitch height, including the drop of the suspension with the trailer. After that I spaced out the holes on the flaps and pre-drilled them. Then I placed them on the angle iron and marked each hole. Then I drilled the holes in the metal and bolted them all up. Then I mounted them and cut away the necessary spaces for the trailer lights wire.

All in all I am very pleased. The mud flaps are thick and heavy, so the naturally do not sail in the wind which is really nice. I have since painted all the iron with Rust-Oleum and they look slick.

A note though. If you decide to copy this, make sure you have 2" of space between the end of the hitch receiver and ball mount where the angle iron could sit. I tried using them with my standard hitch and they wouldn't fit without sitting on top of the receiver, and if they do that they block access to the trailer lights plug.

Let me know what you think. If you want more pictures, let me know.

Attached Files
    Last edited by BrennanK; 05-13-2013, 08:29 PM. Reason: Pics messed up.
    1997 Ski Nautique

Those things are huge! Whatever it takes!
    2018 SAN 230
    1981 Ski Nautique
    Sold - 2011 Sport 200V
    Sold - 2000 SAN

Comment

Originally posted by surroundsound64 View Post
      Those things are huge! Whatever it takes!
      Yeah, they look a little odd without the trailer on. But that was the hole point of mounting them to the trailer hitch; the are never on unless a trailer is in tow.
      They look more fitting when you look at them from behind the boat, I made them wider then the truck but narrower then the trailer.

The best part is towing in the rain. When I stopped after a long haul in the rain the front of the trailer was clean as a whistle. The back side of the flaps did not fare so well.
      1997 Ski Nautique

Comment

Now we know how much you love your boat.
        2013 G23 450 with NSS (175hrs) and still have the original prop
        2010 SANTE 230 343 (280hrs)
        pre 2010 - various open bow boats and jet skis

Comment

I ran into the same problem towing down to TN on vacation. I just threw this together for $40. Dont look bad. Again, they are only on when towing boat. The worked great this year and did help keep road water/dirt off the boat. I use them every time i tow now.
          Attached Files
          1995 Ski Nautique 196

Comment

Working...
          X