Tower speakers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tower speakers

I have a 2016 G21 with the upgraded JL sound system but it has the 6x9 focal tower speakers. Are the JL 8.8 better than the Focal 6x9's? I am looking for a little move volume. I have a m series m400 amp dedicated to the tower.
    Last edited by JasonAK; 09-16-2017, 09:14 PM.

Originally posted by JasonAK View Post
    I have a 2016 G21 with the upgraded JL sound system but it has the 6x9 focal tower speakers. Are the JL 8.8 better than the Focal 6x9's? I am looking for a little move volume. I have a m series m400 amp dedicated to the tower.
    The JL Audio 8-inch will be a certain upgrade. The JL Audio is a far more robust speaker in just about every aspect, not to mention it is a true marine speaker. An 8" has more surface area than a 6X9". The JL Audio has a sealed midbass cone while the Focal may or may not depending on whether the tweeter is post or bridge mounted. The caveat is that while the 8" is larger, it isn't exactly a dramatic increase in size over a 6X9", and surface area is the largest determining factor in output level....so you might want to temper your expectations. It will require a doubling of surface area to make an output difference that is substantial....like moving up to a 10".

Comment

Do you want near field range or wakeboard projection? One brand or design won't do both. The JL 8.8 will provide great near field sound, an HLCD (i.e. Wet Sounds REV8) will provide great wakeboard projection and because of their design will sound louder that the JL 8.8 in the cockpit.

Comment

We mainly surf. I just got the G21 my privous boat was set up with wet sounds rev 10s powered by a wet sounds 800w amp. It was like a concert behind the boat, with that said I do not need it to be that loud but the 6x9s do not quite cut it. The inside the boat system on the g21 sounds pretty good compared to my old boat with the wet sounds speakers. My thought was the jl audio 8.8 might be better while providing the led down lighting in the cans but maybe it would be best to put on a set of rev 10s.

Comment

The JL Audio 8.8 is an incredible speaker. The Wetsounds Rev10 has the surface area plus the pod displacement. Hard to get around those two facts.

Comment

Working...
          X